Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Backing fabric difference

Has anyone noticed if there is a difference in fabric weight whether you get normal yardage or the same fabric in wide width? I got a wide width in a Moda fabric once and I know that it isn't as thick as the same fabric that I got in a FQ of it.

I have a quilt design in mind that I want the top in whole cloth with applique on it. I found a beautiful damask in deep navy fabric that is the color I want in a wide width but I am a bit concerned about it being thin.

Blog Entries
    I piece my backing so I buy regular widths so have no advice to offer.
    I've noticed difference in Moda's quality in different lines. I think, hey! they must like this designer more then that one. LOL

Yeah, I've noticed that some are so smooth it's like silk, others are just normal cotton.

Thing is, I have fabric of the exact same collection that isn't wide and it's not the same. I want whole cloth so I need a wide one. I will contact them to see if they can tell me what the cloth is like.

I got a wide batik from 1000's of bolts and it definitely felt thinner then normal batiks I get. Maybe they can send you a sample swatch? Just a 3" square. Can't hurt to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I piece my backing so I buy regular widths so have no advice to offer.
    I've noticed difference in Moda's quality in different lines. I think, hey! they must like this designer more then that one. LOL
    I piece mine too.

I've bought wide backing but I do it at the fabric store here so I can touch and feel it before I buy. There are certainly differences in them and I try to buy the better ones.

Blog Entries
    One of the backing fabrics I bought was heavier and coarser feeling... I would be apt to buy in person or ask for a swatch.

A lot of the wide backings are thinner than regular 44" wide cottons. Don't know why. If you call someplace for samples, be sure to ask them the size they send. It can be hard to tell from a one inch square what several yards will feel like!

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    Yeah, I've noticed that some are so smooth it's like silk, others are just normal cotton.

Thing is, I have fabric of the exact same collection that isn't wide and it's not the same. I want whole cloth so I need a wide one. I will contact them to see if they can tell me what the cloth is like.
    Maybe you could ask them for a sample so you can see if it is what you want.

Margie

CRH
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    One of the backing fabrics I bought was heavier and coarser feeling... I would be apt to buy in person or ask for a swatch.
    I had this same experience. A name brand fabric (Benartex) is so coarse I hate to use it. Not smooth or silky at all!! I'll never buy wide backing again unless I can FEEL it!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast