Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Backing fabric - how do I figure out how much I need?

Backing fabric - how do I figure out how much I need?

Hi all-

I am finishing up a quilt top that is a queen sized and measures 93 x 102. The pattern calls for 8 1/2 yards of fabric. First, I have no clue how to sew the backing fabric if I decide to buy yardage. If I go the "back fabric" route in which its 108" wide, how many yards do I need? SO CONFUSED! JC

Blog Entries
    If you go with the 8-1/2 yards, you would cut it into three equal pieces of 102" each. Cutting them wider than the 93" width allows about 4" on both sides, what a long arm quilter requires. Sew the three pices together, selvage to selvage, using at least 1/2" seam, if not a little more. Then my suggestion is to center the middle piece in the middle of the quilt. If you are taking it to a long arm quilter, you might want to ask her if she wants to trim it up on the top and bottom, or wants you to.
    MzzzQuilts aka Ellen

If you are not having it longarmed, the 108" width should be enough. So 93 divided by 36 is 2.58333, or 2.75 yards to be safe (would be about half the price to go with the wide stuff, too).
    Last edited by ghostrider; 03-17-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    This might help you visualise how to piece a backing for the various sizes
    http://www.countrycrossroadsquilters...ckingChart.pdf
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Remember to cut those selveges off too. If washed, they will pucker. I would buy the whole cloth 108" wide. It is so much easier.