Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Backing fabric question >

Backing fabric question

Backing fabric question

Old 09-03-2016, 09:51 AM

Default Backing fabric question

I have finished a top that is made from all batik fabrics and do not want to back it with a batik, mostly because of the price. I bought a wide piece of fabric from Joann's, washed it, sent it off to quilter. She returned it to me and said she had tried several times and was getting skipped stitches and didn't think I would like it that way and she was right. Anyway, do you think it was just the fabric from joann's that didn't work. I would like to put sort of a mottled or marbled cotton fabric on the back. What do you think?
Old 09-03-2016, 09:57 AM

I'm quilting one right now on my LA with a batik top and a wide back from HL and its quilting beautifully.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:04 AM

There are many reasons for a skipping thread. It could be the thread, needle, batting, and sometimes the fabric. I sometimes have problems with Batik and have to use a different thread and needle but until now I have been able to solve that problem. Is there another LAer in your area that might try working on it?
Old 09-03-2016, 10:10 AM

sash.. I too think I'd try another long armer... or try quilting it yourself.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:18 PM

Has your LA quilted on batik quilts before? Batiks as you know are often more tightly woven than regular quilting cotton.

I am in Canada and have am currently using Fabric Land (our equivalent of Joann's) wide backing on a quilt (not batik) with no issues.

Don't tell the quilt police, but I did not wash the backing. The top is a Jelly Roll Race. I do not wash precuts before using them, so neither the top not back have been washed. No skipped stitches, but it may be beginners luck.

Batting: Warm and Natural.
Thread: Connecting Threads cotton
Old 09-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

I think it's more likely the batiks on the top that are causing the LA quilter to have problems, not the fabric on the back. I agree with asking someone else to quilt it.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:58 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Or you might make a small sandwich with squares of the two fabrics and the batting you're using and see if you have trouble quilting it on your own machine.

Jan in VA
Old 09-03-2016, 07:14 PM

Like others have said it could be caused by several reasons and combinations of variables. I once had a quilt to do that had mainly batiks and I was having some problems with stitch quality, I troubleshooted everything I could think of. Finally changed the needle from one of the expensive titanium needles to a regular one and the stitching looked great. Just want to mention this if others have the problem. I actually think the titanium finish did not allow for a good contact with the fabric. Batiks are tricky and finiky (sp).
Old 09-03-2016, 07:43 PM

I've long armed several batiks, including at least 2 with batik backs, too. One thing that needs to be done on my frame is to loosen the tension on the rollers as batik is so very tightly woven. You might suggest that to your long armer or you could check with another one. It's doable.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:28 AM

I'm a batik girl and have never had a problem with batiks but this said, you will be glad you didn't use a batik back. For a while I was a purist and used all batiks. Then after using them a while I realized that the batik back didn't get as soft as my normal cotton backs. Like others, the problem with the skipped stitches is probably the setting on the longarm when it goes thru the seams. Even my juki hesitates at a thick intersection.