Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Backing material

I've just finished my 90x90 log cabin (finally) but the book says I need 8 & 3/4 yards of backing material. Can this be right? I'm hoping some of you have run seams on your backs & can help me w/ this - I have no idea of how to figure this out.
    Thanks very much - this forum has been my lifesaver several times.

Peggi

it will take 3 yds to go the length, 2 lengths is not quite wide enough, you'll have to piece another length th get enough width, or you could but 9 yds and use 3 strips of equal width

You could buy three yards of wide backing fabric, then you wouldn't have to piece.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
    You could buy three yards of wide backing fabric, then you wouldn't have to piece.
    and the price would possibly be a bit cheaper doing it this way too!! most wide backings are about 12.00 a yard at JoAnns and your LQS should be 16-18.00. Check the clearnece corner and look for a coupon. I buy and use a lot of the wide backings from JoAnns......good stuff and better with a 40% off coupon!!

jodi in leavenworth

Banned
    If you buy wide backing make sure it is cut straight. Since wide fabric is folded twice you can loose several inches at top and bottom. I prefer to have the shop tare the fabric, but some won't.

Blog Entries
    Marshall Dry Goods has 108 wide blenders for under $6 a yard. I use them for all my queen quilts, lovely.

If you buy the wide backing, get at least the 108 width by 3 yards. Some wide backings are 90" and that is not enough.

Yes, 3 yards of wide backing 108 or 9 yards of regular wide fabric. I just bought etra wide backing on sale from
    http://www.sewezdesigns.com