Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Backing problem(?) >

Backing problem(?)

Backing problem(?)

Old 01-21-2011, 03:49 PM

Back in December I basted the backing onto a quilt that had been put on the shelf for a couple of years. (This is the quilt: http://www.plentifulpennies.com/2010...ing-table.html ).

It took 3 weeks to baste. My problem is that the backing fabric feels too much like plastic. (It was sold as quilters extra-wide backing from the LQS). It only became much more noticeable when I pulled out another quilt in progress - which was backed with calico and that quilt felt much softer and cuddlier.

This "plastic" quilt will be hand quilted. So I'm trying to decide whether I should change the backing and go for something more soft or not.

What would you do???
Old 01-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Maybe try hand quilting a little scrap sandwich and see if you have any problems with it? :D:D:D
Old 01-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

have you tried stitching it? it will probably soften up when it gets washed...another good reason for pre=washing i guess. but i would try and see how hard it's going to be to stitch by hand, if it is difficult then either take it off and wash it or switch to a different fabric....another thought...and you may want to call the shop and ask...we have one shop that carries some vinyl's...for picnic quilts, outdoor table clothes, could you have purchased something that is in fact 'plastic'?
good luck...i hate it when i have these problems...and i've had some pretty ... weird fabric issues
Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 PM

The fabric is cotton. The print on it looks like sprayed on plastic (not sure how to describe it). It seems to be "on the fabric" not "in" it.

The quilt I was comparing it to is a lap quilt size - and is snuggable. This quilt I suppose is too large and formal looking to be snuggable.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:21 PM

I agree with trying to hand quilt a small sandwich using the backing fabric or just do a very small part of your quilt and see how you like it.

Sounds like it could be a polished cotton, maybe? If so, they usually soften up fine when washed.

If it is really bothering you, then just take it off now and switch it out. Otherwise, you will always wonder. (If you are like me. If only, if only....)
Old 01-21-2011, 04:51 PM

Do you have any of the extra fabric? Try to wash a piece and see how it feels.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:54 PM

Personally after all the time you spend on a quilt top I would change the backing. Just my opinion.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the excellent advice.

I will make a mini test quilt with the left overs. I'll use it to see how easy/difficult it is to hand quilt through. Then I'll see how it feels after it is washed.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like an excellent plan....that is a lot of "unbasting" and "re-basting" to do...Let us know how you go.