Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Backing for Thin Material

I read somewhere about a product that could be used to strengthen thin material. I believe it was some sort of a backing.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

There are all sorts of fusible and sew-in interfacings, depending on what you have and how much reinforcing it needs. Some people use muslin as a lining, too. Just realize that too-thin fabric won't hold up as well as quilt-weight cottons.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
    I read somewhere about a product that could be used to strengthen thin material. I believe it was some sort of a backing.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?
    Are you talking about stabilizer? So your fabric doesn't pucker when doing machine applique.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    There are all sorts of fusible and sew-in interfacings, depending on what you have and how much reinforcing it needs. Some people use muslin as a lining, too. Just realize that too-thin fabric won't hold up as well as quilt-weight cottons.
    I believe it was called interfacing. I've made a few squares and some of the material is really thin compared to others. Not sure, but I think you ironed it on the back. :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    I believe it was called interfacing. I've made a few squares and some of the material is really thin compared to others. Not sure, but I think you ironed it on the back. :shock:

I've used interfacing in me sewing but not in my quilting. Maybe I'm missing something.

Blog Entries
    Yes, quilters do use a thin iron on interfacing to stabilize fabrics for quilting. Most fabrics stores carry this :D:D:D