Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Backtacking

I have sewn my own clothes for many years. I just started quilting and am having a hard time with not backtacking. By the time I finished some of my blocks the stitches were already starting to pull apart at the edges. Is backtacking ok if it is not too heavy?

Thanks,
    Donna

Suz
    Donna,
    Yes, you can backtack or lockstitch at the beginning of your stitching row. You can also reduce the number of stitches to approx. 12/inch for the first few stitches and then return to your regular number. This should help. Suzanne

You did not say if you were machine sewing or hand sewing. If you are hand sewing I would say backtrack or tie a very little knock at the start and end of your thread not just in your thread but in the cloth it's self. I hope that makes since.
    Misty

Thank goodness, y'all said okay to backtacking. I always do just a few stitches at the beginning and end of each seam. I just couldn't stand the pieces pulling apart. I always felt guilty, but not any more!