Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad fabric

Blog Entries
    Have you ever bought fabric and got home to find out it has a lot of flaws in it? Well, I bought some, brought it home and put it up for the next quilt. when I took it out and was cutting it, there were bad places in the fabric all over it. I was sick. It had been a while since I had bought it. So, now I am stuck with it. Has anyoneelse ever done this or am I a lone goose?

Blog Entries
    It has happened to me twice. I did the same thing as you, didn't cut into it right away so I was stuck with it. I cut around it and used it anyway although it made cutting a real pain.

I only had that happen to me one and I was able to cut around it.

Blog Entries
    Yes, just recently bought a white on white. 3 yards worth, cut into it. There was print on both the first and last yard, but the middle yard had nothing on it, barely even visible that it was supposed to have a print. But since I had already cut into it, I couldn't return it. Burned me up!

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseP
    It has happened to me twice. I did the same thing as you, didn't cut into it right away so I was stuck with it. I cut around it and used it anyway although it made cutting a real pain.
    been there done that. you just do the best you can with what you can salvage.

I was told by someone in the fabric business that it can have something like 2-3 flaws per yard and still be considered first quality. Amazing.
    If you are getting it for a backing or border, inspect carefully in the store before buying.

I've done the same. It was 'sale' fabric on the flat-fold $1 or so a yard table so I didn't feel like I'd really been gypped all that much, but since I had intended using it for curtains for my RV and had only bought a certain amount, I had to rethink the curtains.

Power Poster
    I bought some fabric for a back and the center fold was faded. It looked fine to me in the store but when I ironed it to prepare my quilt sandwich, there was a line. Bummer! I decided that the back was going to have a seam through the middle after all.

That happened to me just last week with Robert Kaufman fabric from LQS. There was a white spot near the bottom of the salvage> Fortunately, i had just bought it so i took it back and had it replaced.

That is frustrating for sure. I have bought fabric with flaws in it - but have made them discount it. Hope you can work around it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast