Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bag Makers - Please help!! >

Bag Makers - Please help!!

Bag Makers - Please help!!

Old 02-24-2016, 11:16 PM

I found top stitching around the top of bag is easier with the zipper foot and gets in close. Love the bags are you writing or doing a tute with the pattern?
Old 02-25-2016, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I found top stitching around the top of bag is easier with the zipper foot and gets in close. Love the bags are you writing or doing a tute with the pattern?
I wish!! I have learned so much from online tutes that it would be nice to be able to contribute one. But my directions are so messed up, even I can't completely remember what they say. So far I've made one new bag every 9 months or so. I think a total of 4. That's just enough time to totally forget how I did it the last time.

Thanks for the zipper foot idea too.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
I would check out Sara Lawson's website - www.sewsweetness.com - she has excellent bag patterns - she has two books out and has published a couple of free patterns on the web too - she is an excellent handbag teacher. I learned by making bags from her patterns. Also, check out videos on youtube - you can see almost any technique that you need on there - I have learned everything on the internet - I had no sewing experience and am self taught - I think you did a wonderful job just winging it.
Thanks for the compliment and the referral to Sara Lawson's website. I was recently there because someone here had linked to the site. But at the time I was not planning to make a new bag so didn't pay attention to the zipper part. Now I'll read her tutes very very carefully!
Old 02-25-2016, 10:30 AM

Just wanted to say I really like your bags...and your taste in fabrics! I've also got a tote (partially) made with the teal and brown...you are motivating to finish mine!
Old 02-26-2016, 04:06 AM

Debbie Shore has some of the best bag tutorials I've found. She is on YouTube. She has one where the zipper is inserted like you want it. It's called a zippered lines tote bag. Here other bags are great as well. If you go to YouTube and search for her lots will come up. She uses a stripe material for the bag with the zippered top. She left a part out of the video and has a link when you reach that point for the missing part.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:25 AM

Thanks citruscounyquilter. That was an excellent video! I loved her accent too.

Here's one issue. Her bag was just fabric, no batting. What I made was a purse for myself and I like a really structured purse, one that stands on it's own like a little soldier. So I use felt as my batting. I wonder if I will be able to successfully turn the bag inside out with a stiff batting like that?? Otherwise, her method made perfect sense and seemed very easy to make.

Edited to add - Sorry! I replied before she was totally done. The last bit she did was sew a seam at the very top. That's the part that gave me such trouble. It seemed pretty easy for her. Maybe because her zipper was a bit lower in the bag then mine was, because she attached the zipper down in the lining, not the top of the bag. I'll study the video more. It's possible I can adapt just that part of her method to my bag and not even worry about turning it inside out. Maybe if I just have the zipper a little lower in the bag....(thinking aloud here)

Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 02-26-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
(Oh, I hate to hand sew!!! Hate it!)
Someone else suggested to sew the lining seam together on the inside after it has been turned right side out. That's a good idea, making the seam as close to the edge as you can get it without falling off.
I would do that with a very small zig-zag stitch. Do it very slowly with one stitch on the fabric and the next stitch off the fabric. After that has been sewn, a little tug will make the seam open up almost as if it were stitched flat.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:36 AM

Thanks maviskw. I can do that!!
Old 02-26-2016, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Your bags look fantastic. I would advise looking at bag tutorials on MSQC or You Tube.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
You don't have to hand sew the opening you leave in the lining for turning - you can usually pull it to the outside of the purse, pinch a small seam in it and sew it together that way - it's so small it doesn't really show, and it's usually either in a side seam or bottom region - where no one but you would see it anyway.
Another way to do it is to pinch the seam together and then sew from the outside - kind of like a stitch in the ditch sort of thing.
I agree. The opening is in the bottom of the lining so no one will ever see if it has the tiniest "bubble" in the seam. It will definitely give you nicer results without all the struggle. Beautiful job on the bags!