Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bailey 17" and Majestic Frame have arrived! >

Bailey 17" and Majestic Frame have arrived!

Bailey 17" and Majestic Frame have arrived!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:36 PM

Default Bailey 17" and Majestic Frame have arrived!

Yes, they're here, and I even have the frame put together and the system set up, I think! That was a JOB! I would love your suggestions on how to begin the learning process. I got a book I ordered today. (the Ultimate Guide to LAQ...Linda Taylor) I am digging into it tonight. I am wondering if I should just start with some free motion patterns.... on a practice sandwich, of course! OR is there some other technique that I should try first? I do have the stitch regulator on the machine. I know that I will have to do LOTS of practice, and I would appreciate any tips for getting started. I appreciate those of you who have been so helpful so far. I did join the message board for Bailey LA'ers and I have also posted some questions there. Thanks!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 PM

Congrats on your new baby!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 PM

Congrats on your Bailey. You are way ahead of me. I don't have it sat up yet. My husband commented that "I am a very patient woman". The patience is running dry. Enjoy your Bailey!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 PM

Use a couple of yards of cheap fabric (Walmart $2 clearance) and a backing of another cheap fabric. You'll need to cut the batting the same size as the backing, but top should be at least 3" smaller on all sides. This will give you something to practice on. I suggest you start without using the stitch regulator and practice free-motion. The stitch regulator is really great when you're doing stitch-in-the-ditch, pantos or intricate work. You don't have to be worried about mistakes on this practice piece. You will probably need to work on your tension. Always check the bottom of your quilt frequently. READ YOUR MANUAL!! This will tell you how to thread the machine, load the quilt, correct tension and other problems. When I finished my practice quilts, I would bind them and use them as lap quilts or in the back seat of the car when I haul food or take the dog to the vet, etc.

Don't get discouraged if it seems hard at first, it gets easier. Just relax and have fun...you will fall in love with it!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 PM

Thanks so much for the info. Should the stitch regulator always be off for free motion, or just while I am practicing?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

congrats on your new setup... green with envy here
Old 11-20-2012, 05:50 AM

I got bored quickly practicing on muslin sandwiches so I made some simple quilt tops to use for practice. I can then donate these to charity. For some reason, I do much better on a real top than on a practice piece.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by kimg View Post
Thanks so much for the info. Should the stitch regulator always be off for free motion, or just while I am practicing?
You can do free motion with or without the SR being on, but most people think it is easier with it off. I tend to use my SR most of the time, but I wish I had practiced more without it. Try it both ways.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 AM

I bought qn and king size sheets and light weight blankets at estate sales. Cut the sheets in half, and use the the blankets for batting. Much, much cheaper, and they even turned out not looking too bad.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 AM

That just proves how clueless I am. I got the stitch reg. because I thought it would make free motion easier! When do you find that it helps out the most?