Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bali Double Wedding Ring Quilt >

Bali Double Wedding Ring Quilt

Bali Double Wedding Ring Quilt

Old 02-21-2017, 11:40 PM

Thank you so much for all your help. Being Scottish the thought of spending all that money for the whole kit from Quiltworx was frightening. I have decided that I shall trace out the design using the templates for the two sections that have the star on them and then try to draw out a new template incorporating the star shapes and paper piece those sections only. Trying to incorporate the seam allowances may prove tricky, but hey who baulks at a challenge?

Many thanks again.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:58 AM

Go for it, Apiarist!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-03-2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-06-2017, 02:45 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]571122[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]571123[/ATTACH]

I just finished piecing my Bali Wedding Star quilt. In the instructions, it says to read all the directions before starting. I did this and I was so confused! I honestly think it was easier for me once I started piecing. But I know every person is different. If the instructions seem too confusing, maybe it will help you to just start like I did.

I actually did a small "practice quilt" before I started my "real quilt." I wanted to be sure understood the process before I used my more expensive batiks and risked ruining them. :-) In my practice quilt, I only did 2 color sets for the arcs. I think it turned out fine. If the process of selecting the crazy number of fabric is too overwhelming, just make 2 color sets and I think your quilt will turn out fine. I've seen this quilt made with only 1 color set, and it's still gorgeous!

I'll include a picture of my "practice quilt" and my "real quilt."
Attached Thumbnails 17635402_10155973911380558_2759043533784886370_o.jpg   practice-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-03-2019 at 02:04 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-03-2019, 11:11 AM

Wonderful! Well done!
Old 09-03-2019, 08:07 PM

Default Bali Star

Originally Posted by apiarist View Post
I am very keen to make this quilt. I already have the templates for making an ordinary Double Wedding Ring quilt, but wondered if I could use them to make the Bali version.

I am not sure if this pattern is paper pieced from beginning to end or whether I could use my templates and then add the star shapes using the applique method.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I'm in the same fix you're in. I also have the templates for the Double Wedding Ring, but I like the Bali Star Wedding Ring. Thing is, the pattern are way to expensive. I'll be keeping tabs on the post. Hopefully someone will have some info on the Bali Star or I will have to sit down and figure it out. syl

Last edited by ThreadHead; 09-03-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:26 PM

I have been quilting for a long time and I absolutely love that Bali star quilt that auntierah09 made but I think just looking at it that I would not even attempt to make it! There are some things that are more of a challenge then I want to take on at this time in my life. These days the easier it is the more I like it. Good luck with your quilt project apiarist.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-04-2019 at 03:32 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-04-2019, 06:04 AM

The bali double wedding ring is a Judy Niemeyer quilt and is all hand pieced. I just saw one recently and it is a beautiful quilt! The pattern is about $50 USA.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
The bali double wedding ring is a Judy Niemeyer quilt and is all hand pieced. I just saw one recently and it is a beautiful quilt! The pattern is about $50 USA.
don't think it's hand pieced, but rather paper pieced. Her patterns include all the PP templates (usually one extra too) and very detailed instructions--her patterns have the cutting templates, instructions showing you how to "assemble line" the sewing , etc. While the cost is higher, you do get very good info and great templates.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by auntierah09 View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]571123[/ATTACH]

I just finished piecing my Bali Wedding Star quilt. In the instructions, it says to read all the directions before starting. I did this and I was so confused! I honestly think it was easier for me once I started piecing. But I know every person is different. If the instructions seem too confusing, maybe it will help you to just start like I did.

I actually did a small "practice quilt" before I started my "real quilt." I wanted to be sure understood the process before I used my more expensive batiks and risked ruining them. :-) In my practice quilt, I only did 2 color sets for the arcs. I think it turned out fine. If the process of selecting the crazy number of fabric is too overwhelming, just make 2 color sets and I think your quilt will turn out fine. I've seen this quilt made with only 1 color set, and it's still gorgeous!

I'll include a picture of my "practice quilt" and my "real quilt."
Oh my goodness gracious, I think that is the most stunning quilt I've ever laid my eyes on!