Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bali Wedding Star by JudyNiemeyer

I was looking on the internet and found this quilt again and LOVE it even more than the first time I saw it.

My questions is, how hard is this pattern to do? I consider myself and advanced beginner to intermediate and I don't want to spend the money if it is going to be way to hard for me

Thanks

Blog Entries
    You can do any pattern if you set your mind to it and work slowly. I started out with a harder pattern for my very first quilt. I struggled some, but ended up very happy with my result. I also learned a lot of skills making it.

Don't ever be afraid to try to pattern just because it says "intermediate" or "advanced". You can do it!!! :-)

Blog Entries
    Isn't this a paper pieced quilt? If so, I recommend trying out paper piecing on a small project first, to make sure it is something you like to do. There are people who love paper piecing, and people who can't stand to do it. (I'm on of the latter......)

absolutely try a small paper piece first...

I agree with the others if you have not done any paper piecing, do a small project first , get some of the learning curve on a smaller lesser $$$$ investment type first.
    Paper Peicing is not hard it just has a learning curve as the process is quite a bit different. Some "get it " right way others it takes a bit longer.
    That quilt once all the fabrics and pattern is added up it can be quite pricey .... so invest in practice.
    Paper piecing does take longer than traditional .. so some abandon big PP projects because of the amount of time it takes to complete.

I have done a little bit of paper piecing after getting Carol Doak's DVD and I don't mind it. Not sure that I would want to do it all the time but that's why you have more than one project going all the time isn't it. LOL

all Judy Niemeyer patterns are considered Advanced Patterns-

if you have some experience in paper piecing- and are feeling (adventurous) give it a try= if you've not really mastered paper piecing you may want to visit Carol Doak's web site- and get some practice before jumping into one of Judy's...they are not for the feint of heart...

I have started it and have not worked on it recently as I have too many irons in the fire. It has not been very difficult. One of the members on this board has already finished hers and it is beautiful. Maybe she will post it after it is quilted. I say go for it. You won't know unless you try.

I am currently working on Judy Niemeyer's Christmas Celebration tree skirt. It's a gorgeous pattern and all paper pieced, but man is it tedious! I had only minimal experience with paper piecing before I started this project, but it hasn't been terribly difficult. It's just very fiddley and I get bored with it very quickly. I really want to do the Bali Wedding Star as well, but I don't know if I will ever be able to finish it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    You can do any pattern if you set your mind to it and work slowly. I started out with a harder pattern for my very first quilt. I struggled some, but ended up very happy with my result. I also learned a lot of skills making it.

Don't ever be afraid to try to pattern just because it says "intermediate" or "advanced". You can do it!!! :-)
    I agree-talking from experience-I thought I was at BEST, an intermediate quilter, being mostly self-taught-fell in love with a red/white/blue quilt with applique (I posted a photo of mine finished a while back) and AFTER I finished, I noticed the book had a "5" rating out of 1-5, 5 being the hardest! Had I noticed it before, I probably would not have attempted it. Boy, am I glad I didn't notice first-gave me so much more confidence! Now, if I culd only get confidence with foundation piecing! Just read the instructions carefully, and if you have problems, check with us on the board!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast