Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ballerina quilt update question >

Ballerina quilt update question

Ballerina quilt update question

Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 AM

Default Ballerina quilt update question

Morning, a few days ago I posted asking if anyone has made this quilt http://www.sewthankful.com/Jay_Bird_...man-front.html

I still am not quite getting on how to make it without pattern. So here's what I'm asking, is there any shops who are offering the pattern as a download purchase...I really don't like doing that because I don't feel one should pay full price for the pattern when I have to print it out...at least they could offer a discount on the price when one downloads it...but thats just me...

Thanks everyone for your assistance. I've searched but can't find a site to purchase and download.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 AM

Looks like you have to purchase the pattern - it does come with the templates and is available at places other than the jaybird site. (fat quarter shop for one).

Google search: ballerina quilt jaybird
Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/2012/05/ballerina.html
This is what the designer posted. Maybe else contact the designer to see where you can get a paper pattern. I know what you mean. i do not like paying full for when I have to print it out either.

This might help. A link to all who cary her line and items.
http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/p/where...-patterns.html

Here you go-
http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...64&Parent_Ids=
one option

Last edited by Annaquilts; 03-22-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Try Robert kaf ...collection ,15 pages of quilts. A pattern similar is trade winds.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM

I have been thinking about this quilt, and have seen one made from the same triangles at a quilt group the other day, so I got a little more information from the quilter. Maybe this will work for you. Try with some extra fabric you might have.
Cut a wof strip of 2 of your dark prints 3" wide. Then cut a wof strip of your white or light color also 3" wide.
Sew the strips together with the white in the middle. (I would press the seams open, but that is up to you).
Place the strip set on your cutting board with the darks top and bottom and the white in the middle.
Place the 5" line on your triangle template along the bottom edge of the bottom dark fabric. Cut out the triangle.
Place the 5" line on your triangle template along the top edge of the top dark fabric, as close as possible to the previous triangle. Cut out the triangle.
Try not to cut much beyond the template so that it doesn't interfere in the next triangle.
Continue in this manner cutting out one triangle from the bottom and one from the top. If you use the 5" triangle, you should be able to get 6 of each pattern from the strip set.
Place one triangle on your board with the light at the top. Place the next triangle against it with the light on the top right. Place the next triangle with the light on the bottom right.
Only sew 3 triangles together to form a half hexagon. Sew another 3 together with the lights in the same place to form another matching half hexagon. When you place the long edges together you will see the pattern from the quilt.
Do the same with the other six triangles of the other print. Now you have enough for 2 hexagons. You see the pattern emerging.
When you have all your half hexagons made, lay them out on the floor or designing wall until you like the arrangement. You will have to split some hexagons, half on the top and half on the bottom to fill in the spaces.
I like to put half triangles on the sides to make the edge straight, but from the picture it looks like they just cut off the extra part to make it straight.
Hopefully, this made sense?

ps. These blocks will be much smaller than those in the picture of the quilt. I think that if you make all your strips 5" and sew them together the same way, only using THE SAME FABRIC PRINT on the top and bottom, you should get 3 triangles across the bottom and 3 across the top giving you enough for one hexagon. This will go alot faster than the smaller triangles.

Good luck. Ann

Last edited by krafty14; 03-22-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add ps
Old 03-22-2013, 08:03 PM

Wow thanks Krafty14. going to try this later....
Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 PM

Wow thanks Krafty14. going to try this later....Ok I tried and it works yeppy...I only have to questions though, How do I sew the hexagon blocks together into a quilt? would I just sew the top hexagons together then make a row and sew the other bottoms to make a row then match the two rows? I hope Im making sense...second question is If I do cut my strips 5" would I line up the 7" line on the 60 degree ruler?
Old 03-23-2013, 02:22 AM

Hi briny. Wish I was. I have just been on amazon kindle looking at there patterns. They have a pattern 0.77p GB. which is I'm sure sme as yours.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:16 AM

Well Well this is cool also a bit different but wow Dottymo, I decided to go check out amazon and they have one that is called Spinning Spokes, so I did a search on google and look what I found this is a pdf file pretty much like Krafty14 described.
http://enjoyingcreating.files.wordpr...ningspokes.pdf

After studying the orginial pattern, one would have to sew the top part of the block in rows, then the bottom part in rows then sew the rows together and hope they match., thats the way I see it. With the spinning spokes pattern they add corners.

Last edited by btiny36; 03-23-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:29 AM

I have a picture of a one block wonder under construction. None of the half hexagons are sewn together to form a full hexagon. You lay them out in rows, then sew together across the row. Then sew the rows together. Some of your hexagons will be split between the top and bottom to make the edges straight. I also use half triangles on the right and left side to make them straight, but the ballerina quilt seems to be just cut off on the sides. Hope this helps. Ann
Attached Thumbnails obw-fish-progress.jpg