Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baltimore quilts >

Baltimore quilts

Baltimore quilts

Old 12-29-2016, 10:10 AM

Default Baltimore quilts

Hi everyone, I saw a book by Margaret Doherty a few years,ago, called Little Brown Bird, and it started,me on making Baltimore quilts, now I have made four different ones, and still want to do more. I love making the flowers as 3D as possible. A couple of years ago I went to some workshops given by Pauline Ineson on machine made appliqué, and loved every minute. Is there anyone else out there who is as addicted as I am?
Old 12-29-2016, 11:11 AM

Yes, I'm working on a Sue Garmen pattern called A Bouquet for a New Day. It's a block of the month applique pattern. Love to do needle turn applique. Although I 've done plenty of the heat n bond type with an invisible thread zig zag stitch.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:21 PM

I love doing hand applique. I have done a couple Kim Diehl's, a top I made in 2000 that sits as a UFO because I was told it really needed to be hand quilted, rethinking that, a center of a quilt from a 1999(?) Australian magazine and hopefully to finish the actual quilt this year, several baby quilts, but no Baltimore. I do have the LBB book and look at it often, but never started one. I have her Birds 'n' Roses book, also. I do pick up applique books as I run across them. Have you seen Mi Amor Legacy Applique by Margarete Heinisch? Worth checking out.

Last edited by yngldy; 12-29-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:53 PM

I am such an applique wanna-be! I have several kits that I want to make as soon as I get a little more experience! Right now I'm working on a Lucy Boston quilt which will be entirely hand stitched. I figure it will take me at least a year to get the blocks done and another 6 months to join them. I have done a couple of Kim Diehl quilts which combine piecing and applique -- love that look. But I really want to make a quilt that is completely applique!
Old 12-29-2016, 03:11 PM

The biggest thing that draws me to quilting is applique and I love Baltimore quilts! I have "Little Brown Bird" and also her "Twilight Garden Quilt" pattern. Members talk about their fabric stash, but I also have a book and pattern collection that I am constantly adding to. Applique is like painting with fabric. How could anyone not love it?
Old 12-29-2016, 08:47 PM

I love Baltimore album quilts. I have made a Baltimore style quilt designed by Pearl Pereira and I'm working on her Bountiful Baskets quilt right now.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:55 PM

Taking a class in making a Baltimore quilt was what got me into the obsession with hand appliqué - way back in 1989. I signed up for a year-long class hating appliqué. I remember sitting at the table with the very first block - cutwork flour de lis - easy now - and saying to myself "what the h--l am I doing here"? Luckily I already knew the tack stitch as I had been using it for helming for years - knowing it wasn't the right stitch for hemming but it worked for me. And I do mean obsession - I have lots of appliqué BOM kits - 😄😄😄

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 12-30-2016, 06:57 PM

ladyinpurple135, I really understand your obsession. The quilt in my avatar is my 5th applique quilt. I'm working on an applique basket quilt and have 2 more applique projects in the gathering fabric stage.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:32 AM

Oh how lovely to find some fellow addicts! Thank you all for your tips on other designs. I've looked at all of them, and liked Pearl Periera a lot. Has anyone come across Dianne Johnson (that might be Johnston) I'm making one of her designs at the moment.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:21 AM

It was my good fortune to take a class with Pat Campbell (Jacobean Applique). That was the best class I have ever taken. I love applique also, and hope you will post pictures of your work.