Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bamboo batting >

Bamboo batting

Bamboo batting

Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 PM
HMK

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to get the "fluff" from the bamboo batting off the black fabric of my quilt? I've tried the lint brush and it doesn't even touch it - looks like a bunch of cat hair (I don't have pets) all over it.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Banned

there are many types of bamboo, but even walmart quit carrying a certain brand when they found out the chemical process used to make was actually leaving too many chemicals in the batting!
also there is this:
As far as it being "green". While bamboo grows quite quickly and is considered a sustainable source, it is my understanding that the process of turning it from plant to fiber (batting or cloth) involves a lot of nasty chemicals so the processing negates any "greeness" of sustainability and renewable source.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Please be aware it is very flammable. The chemical processes for turning bamboo fiber or any plant fiber into a batting is the creation of rayon from the cellulose. Calling it ecofriendly is a deliberate misnomer by the batting companies, and does sound better than calling it rayon batting. The rayon is blended with other fibers for durability. It can be very soft and drapes beautifully, but some quilters in my Guild say it beards through the fabric horribly. HMK- I wonder if it is coming through your fabric?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 PM
HMK

Monroe... no, it's not coming through the fabric - just long fibers, like cat hair, on the top of the fabric.