Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bamboo batting

Bamboo batting

What is peoples feeling on the bamboo batts? I am making a baby quilt with flannel on the back and do not want anything heavy inside. Does this batt hold up through many washes? And any other info you may have on this batt. Thank you Penny

I've never used it yet ... though I fell in love with it when I saw and felt a roll of it in one of the shops!

Other questions which I'm interested in and that you may like answered ...
    * drape-ability of a quilt with bamboo?
    * shrinkage?
    * quilting distance?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bookmarking this. I'm probably going to buy bamboo next time I buy batting, once I use up all of the random stuff we have stored. Thanks for starting this topic.
    QMFAO

Second hand from a talented and prolific quilter: bamboo pills and beards something awful.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Blog Entries
    I have only used bamboo batting once. I made a quilt for my MIL as a housewarming gift. She has it draped across the back of her couch. She has never used it, no one else has ever used it and it hasn't been washed. I have no idea how bamboo batting works holds up!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

love bamboo batting, hypo allergenic, not as heavy as 100% cotton, and sustainable- so i guess its green- only thing is one of us needs to get smart and make some money and figure out how to use our unused batting, it drapes well, it may be a bit more expensive in the long run, but sew worth it. Do try it, I love it, i made a quilt with it, it looks just like cotton,even tho its only 1/2 cotton. best of luck
    katz

I used it for the first quilt I ever made. It was more expensive than other batting, but I really liked it other than that. I wasn't aware of any bearding, and the quilt washes well. I simply haven't used it again because of the cost. I have become a "serial quilter" and it just gets expensive.

Dina

Blog Entries
    At a quilt show last year, I found a display for Bamboo batting. The lady with the display had a baby-size quilt that she takes with her to all the shows. It had quite a lot of quilting, but was still very soft and drapeable. She told me it had been washed many time, yet it still felt wonderful. I was sold on it.
    jlm5419-an Okie in California
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

I just recently LA a quilt with it and it was so nice. Soft, silky and beautiful drape, even when very heavily quilted it did not become stiff. But that is all I can vouch for as this was not my quilt so I don't know how it holds up to use and can't say anything about it bearding.

As far as it being "green". While bamboo grows quite quickly and is considered a sustainable source, it is my understanding that the process of turning it from plant to fiber (batting or cloth) involves a lot of nasty chemicals so the processing negates any "greeness" of sustainability and renewable source.

I do plan on using it again as the drape was just wonderful on it.

Blog Entries
    Agree about the "greeness" -- the chemicals used in processing more than counteract the sustainability of bamboo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast