Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bamboo batting from walmart

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My sisters walmart in Eastland, TX still has their fabric dept.
    We stopped by to get her some batting and found that they were clearing out some. One of them is a really soft Bamboo batting. I bought an entire bolt of the 48" wide one to use in some kids charity quilts. has anyone used this before?

Do you need to wash it first? It feels sort of limp already! Squishy!

But I was not sure if it would shrink!

I have never used it. Please let us know.

Sorry, personally, I don't know anything about the bamboo batting. However, I have heard some longarmers really love it.

Saw the same batting on the clearance table, have the same questions, help?

I've used the bamboo in a couple quilts now. it quilts up nicely. I didn't wash it before I quilted it however I don't normally wash batting with any of my quilts. It's in a quilt that i did for a friends daughter and it seems to wash well. I didn't notice any real shrinkage, but I think she air dries everything and doesn't use the heat settings.

The bamboo batting that I carry, Winline, seemed to shrink about the same as cotton. I have decided that *I* don't really like it in quilts, it seems to have no shape to it. I would, however, recommend it for quilted clothing since it is so drapey. It also seems to be thinner than the other battings that I carry, and is harder to find that sweet spot when adjusting tension so that the loop in the threads (where the top and bottom threads meet) lands somewhere between the top and bottom, so that I don't have loopies on the top or bottom of the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    The bamboo batting that I carry, Winline, seemed to shrink about the same as cotton. I have decided that *I* don't really like it in quilts, it seems to have no shape to it. I would, however, recommend it for quilted clothing since it is so drapey. It also seems to be thinner than the other battings that I carry, and is harder to find that sweet spot when adjusting tension so that the loop in the threads (where the top and bottom threads meet) lands somewhere between the top and bottom, so that I don't have loopies on the top or bottom of the quilt.
    Thanks for the info!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
    I've used the bamboo in a couple quilts now. it quilts up nicely. I didn't wash it before I quilted it however I don't normally wash batting with any of my quilts. It's in a quilt that i did for a friends daughter and it seems to wash well. I didn't notice any real shrinkage, but I think she air dries everything and doesn't use the heat settings.
    Thank you...I did not think it would shrink being bamboo and not cotton or wool, but was not quite sure, as I have NOT used any bamboo yet.

I do not know how this particular batt would work on a longarm, as it seems sort of flimsy..not very tightly woven. I think it would stretch too much myself...but I think for the little kids quilts we do completely on DSM's it will be fine!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    thank you for the info...this is apparently like yours...it has NO body..very soft, but alas very limp/drapey!

maybe I will keep it for my new jackets instead of using for charity quilts...might be good in a rag quilt though...they have NO shape either!

Did you do a search here using the search feature above? There have been a lot of threads about bamboo batting.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast