Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello Help  needed! >

Bargello Help needed!

Bargello Help needed!

Old 01-31-2015, 07:31 AM

I did more reading, perused through the links (THANKS ALL!) and ManiacQuilter2 ... your bargellos are GORGEOUS!!!!

French braid joining COULD be an option, but I'd rather stay outside in -30 (which is the temp today!) than join that many freaking squares LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508276[/ATTACH]

This is the "pattern" I'm following ... looks easy enough LOL ... and it kind of is (I would have to take a class to really understand how to read some of these patterns, strata, tubing, etc. I need to be shown, not read it - I get lost trying to figure it out ... I'm a SHOW me kind of gal!)

So I rearranged everything so they were all going in one direction. Here's 1/4 of it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508277[/ATTACH]

And I have to say, it looks pretty nice!!!!

Question ... is it normal to have to remove segments of the strips and put them at other ends (sometimes just one square or two?) Or am I making this more complicated than it could be? Seems that half the time, I'm unstitching and restitching squares!

Thanks again for all the input ... seriously, this place is the ABSOLUTE BEST!
Attached Thumbnails bargello-easy.jpg   img_1450.jpg  
Old 01-31-2015, 08:04 AM

Love the colors! I don't believe that you would sew this in different directions...I am interested in seeing if I'm wrong. That would be a new cool way of doing it.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:30 AM

I don't think you are wrong, and the more I thought about trying to sew it in different directions, the more I was ready to toss the whole thing in the garbage LOL
Old 01-31-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
I did more reading, perused through the links (THANKS ALL!) and ManiacQuilter2 ... your bargellos are GORGEOUS!!!!

French braid joining COULD be an option, but I'd rather stay outside in -30 (which is the temp today!) than join that many freaking squares LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508276[/ATTACH]

This is the "pattern" I'm following ... looks easy enough LOL ... and it kind of is (I would have to take a class to really understand how to read some of these patterns, strata, tubing, etc. I need to be shown, not read it - I get lost trying to figure it out ... I'm a SHOW me kind of gal!)

So I rearranged everything so they were all going in one direction. Here's 1/4 of it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508277[/ATTACH]

And I have to say, it looks pretty nice!!!!

Question ... is it normal to have to remove segments of the strips and put them at other ends (sometimes just one square or two?) Or am I making this more complicated than it could be? Seems that half the time, I'm unstitching and restitching squares!

Thanks again for all the input ... seriously, this place is the ABSOLUTE BEST!

Yes, it is normal to have to move segments of the strips. It is sort of an alternative way to making the tubes. I actually find this easier than making the tubes. You do spend a lot of time taking out seams no matter how you do a Bargello.

I am repeating myself here, but your quilt is beautiful and will just get more beautiful as you go along.

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 01-31-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Love your colors. I also have researched and watched the videos. just not ready yet.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:55 AM

Thanks Dina, I was beginning to feel completely incompetent, even tho it is turning out!
Old 01-31-2015, 11:29 AM

Now you have the idea! I love your color selection.
Keep up the good work! That's going to be spectacular when it is finished!
Old 01-31-2015, 11:36 AM

The only thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is that you usually press the seams in every other strip in the opposite direction - strip 1 press downward, strip 2 press upward, strip 3 press downward,.... Then the strips lock together and make the seams match better,
Old 01-31-2015, 12:59 PM

OMG ... I so love these frigid cold days - stay inside almost all day with no guilt LOL ... took a break and took the dog out ... nice walk, very refreshing LOL (OK, it was cold!) but she's now passed out on the floor while I work on the second half ... here's the completed first half ... I'm pretty proud of myself!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508312[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1451.jpg  
Old 01-31-2015, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
The only thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is that you usually press the seams in every other strip in the opposite direction - strip 1 press downward, strip 2 press upward, strip 3 press downward,.... Then the strips lock together and make the seams match better,
I did see that somewhere when I was reading ... also read the I should sew them in opposite directions to stop the "rainbow effect" ... that was VERY helpful ... not just for the bargello, but for all the time when I'm sewing strips!