Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello quilt for a newbie! Also tips for making one! >

Bargello quilt for a newbie! Also tips for making one!

Bargello quilt for a newbie! Also tips for making one!

Old 11-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Talking Bargello quilt for a newbie! Also tips for making one!

Hi
I'm a relatively new quilter and I LOVE the way bargello quilts look. So with all that being said I would like to know what would you consider an easy learning bargello quilt pattern for me to try? Also what would be your best tip or tips on making one!

Thanks in advance for all of the information!
Old 11-13-2011, 02:15 PM

There is a great tutoral on the board
Old 11-13-2011, 02:41 PM

Do a search on these quilts there was a lot of talk about them.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:46 PM

I haven't made one yet myself, and I've been quilting a long time.But I know there are some quilters on here that have made some of the most beautiful Bargello's I've ever seen.And some of the most helpful people I know,so you're sure to get some help.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned

best tip I can give is:
Accurate cutting in all areas of the pattern - both initially with strips and then the sub cuts
Accurate seams.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:55 PM

Hi,
This past weekend a friend and I challenged ourselves to make our first Bargello's. After 3 intensive days (we started Friday afternoon) we are half way through and very pleased with the results.

Hasn't been with out our frustrations though, this is what we found -
1) read read then read the pattern again.
2) have those little post it's ready and lots of pins to label every cut and pile of cuts(there are heaps of them) I also found it handy to have a few little bags, I think you call them zip locks?
3)Be very careful when laying ut your cut strips to have your lights always facing the right way (Jack the Ripper and I became closer friends over the weekend)

Although we are both very happy with our results, I am so glad that I suggested our first attempt should be something small such as a table runner.

We also discovered that the pattern in the book is flawed.

Good luck with your quest

Maybe1day
Old 11-13-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by patiese1 View Post
Hi
I'm a relatively new quilter and I LOVE the way bargello quilts look. So with all that being said I would like to know what would you consider an easy learning bargello quilt pattern for me to try? Also what would be your best tip or tips on making one!

Thanks in advance for all of the information!
http://www.quilterstv.com/video/1236...ie-lauder.html

Billie Lauder has a wonder tutorial. If you Google Billie Lauder Videos you will find the link. I will say that cutting, sewing and pressing accurately is VERY important. I taught this in a class and everyone that did it said it was easy.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:15 PM

I made one as my second quilt, take your time, label all your strips, cut carefully, piece carefully, alternate your sewing direction (as you are sewing your strips together sew one pair fron the top to the bottom, then the next from the bottom to the top, it will help minimise bowing). Any pattern would be fine if you take it slow and are careful. If you want a quick finish then try one of the more basic ones.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:19 PM

I just finished a bargello recently and had a great time piecing it together. There actually are quite a few tips that I can pass along.

1. do a small one first, like a table runner. It lets you get the feel of how the pattern works.
2. you must be very organized.
3. when you get your strips all sewn together (I had 8 stripsets to make....it took a long time) cut a strip map....one long piece with a square of all different fabrics and number each fabric....it will be your goto when you have problems...I pinned mine on the wall right above the sewing machine
4. when it came time to cut the strips to be sewn vertically I only cut a few at a time, it was less confusing than cutting them all and then trying to keep them all straight and in the right order
5. press all seams as per directions....it will help greatly
6. if you have questions, please come here and ask....sometimes it's so much easier than trying to figure it all out by yourself.

Here is the post of mine in progress with pics

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t152707.html
Old 11-13-2011, 05:30 PM

bargellos are all straight lines they just take an organized person and are able to follow directions. They are great fun just take your time.