Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello quilts >

Bargello quilts

Bargello quilts

Old 04-20-2011, 06:57 PM

Hello quilters, I am in love with the look of the Bargello quilt patterns, I want to know if an advanced beginner can do them and if any of you guys did them and how you like the piecing and cutting of the pieces
peggy
Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

An advanced beginner certainly can do the bargello, I just recently did a twisted one and it was pretty simple. I do advise you get the book. Especially if you are a beginner. It has a lot of tips etc in it.

They are basically done in strips, so you cut the strips, sew the strips, cut the strips, reorganize some of them to make the pattern, sewing them in strips helps keep them in order. making it easier to follow the chart in the book.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 PM

Yes, an advanced beginner can make a Bargello. I am working on my first one and I absolutely LOVE the process. Start with a very simple pattern so you understand the process, then go for it!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:07 PM

Bargello quilts were one of the things that 'hooked' me years ago :) I did buy one of the books so had all the tips on how to cut straight strips, how to sew them into a straight strata, how to press and all that good stuff. My beginning patterns were not twisted, just wonderful undulations.

"Confident" beginner is a good perspective - eager to try new techniques, ask questions, play, play, play!!

Bargellos make really nice wall hangings or table runners or bed runners - so you don't sink a whole lot of investment into a large quilt.

Just do it :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 04-20-2011, 07:16 PM

I think they are a good beginner quilt . Just pick a pattern that is fairly straight forward ( not alot of twists) so you can "get" the concept . Once you do .... the sky is the limit. It took me doing one very step by step , as the idea of sewing the strips in a tube and then unsewing ... well I just could not wrap my brain around it. Now it is one of my favorite methods.
It really is just strip piecing!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:18 PM
np3
Power Poster

The key is being accurate. But, that's true of most of our quilting.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

I have looked at so many on this board and one is prettier than the next! I just love the look, and I, too, want to try one. I'm going to do some research on a very simple one to see if I can grasp the concept. It's so nice to have "go to" people on the board. Knowing that, I am a whole lot braver!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:38 PM

I agree that you should be able to do it. I would also like to reinforce that you would be wise to get a book. If you follow the instructions in the book it will make it much easier for you. Otherwise it would be easy to get mixed up. Good Luck!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 PM

I too am thinking of doing one of these. I love the look of them. Do any of you have a particular book that would you would recommend?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I think they are a good beginner quilt . Just pick a pattern that is fairly straight forward ( not alot of twists) so you can "get" the concept . Once you do .... the sky is the limit. It took me doing one very step by step , as the idea of sewing the strips in a tube and then unsewing ... well I just could not wrap my brain around it. Now it is one of my favorite methods.
It really is just strip piecing!
I've made several of these, and that is the hardest concept, the unsewing.