Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello, or what I have learned about my skills >

Bargello, or what I have learned about my skills

Bargello, or what I have learned about my skills

Old 10-26-2012, 04:59 AM

Default Bargello, or what I have learned about my skills

I attempted making my first Bargello and I have to be honest, it was very revealing. If this project was for me, I would have dumped it in the UFO pile. However, it is not for me and it has to be completed, mistakes and all. I THOUGHT that I was accurate in cutting and that my seams were consistent. I was wrong! I can neither cut accurately nor piece things consistently. None of my seams matched, there was lots of cursing and ripping. When making Bargello you are supposed to use really short stitch to prevent unravelling. Well, that short stitch caused a very short temper while ripping. Wish me luck, I have to complete this beast of a quilt! Thanks for letting me vent...
Old 10-26-2012, 05:16 AM

it does get easier. I promise. Where on the island are you?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:18 AM

Don't beat yourself up over this quilt!!! Remember, quilting is supposed to be fun! We've all been there with a project or two. We're anxious to see it. It's probably not as bad as you think...

Linda in Missouri
Old 10-26-2012, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

I think we've all met our match with a quilt that taught us to be more precise. The quilt wins, but we win in the long run, because every quilt after that one is easier to put together, not because the quilt itself is easier, but because our skills have improved. So... look at this as a learning opportunity.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

Are you pinning or otherwise securing your intersections? I have to double pin my intersections, one never does it. The feed dogs still manage to nudge it off a bit if I don't always use two pins. Glueing with water soluble glue is great as well. I like Arlenes tacky glue but many like Elmer's school glue. I am usually too impatient to get the glue, glue a dot where the intersection meets, press it with an iron to set the glue but many here swear by the method and the few times I have done it I swear I will be a convert as well because it really works good. Yet I always go back to double pinning because to me it is quicker and easier. One pin in the seam intersection itself and the second pin 1/8" in front of it so I don't get shifting. I will sew over pins but I slow waaaay down so if it looks like my needle is going to hit the pin I am going so slow it usually is just a glancing blow.

As an aside, you need to really get over your self criticism and sense of defeat, especially if you want to attempt using your Baily mid arm machine. You will not be able to do beautiful feathers right off the bat. Circles look more like "Squarecles" and flowers will look like a five year old drew them. It takes loads of practice, and patience with yourself. Learn to forgive yourself and not to expect perfection. If you don't change that attitude immediately your Baily will sit unused after your first attempt.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:56 AM

Don't be so hard on yourself. Every project I tackle seems to teach me something. You learned some valuable things , I am sure you will take note of these and your next project will show the lessons learned.
Just a note try starching all of your fabrics prior to cutting ... it makes a world of difference, especially when doing bargello. Takes some time , but I have never regreted my use of starch.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:22 AM

I find that if I take my time that I am so much more accurate. It never fails if I am under a deadline and rushed, I have to reach for the seam ripper!! Take a deep breathe! Sometimes you just have to walk away for awhile. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:14 AM

Usually I am not this critical of my work but I broke two of my rules - following a pattern, which I never do, and doing a commissioned quilt. Well, it is sort of commissioned, it is for my friends mother. She bought the fabric so I feel more stressed because it is not mine. Of course I am not charging for it, she is a dear friend, but still I feel this responsibility because it will be her Christmas gift to her mom. I usually make my own pattern, and if some things do not work out, so be it.
Thank you all for the wonderful advice, I will definitely try them all, and I will post the Bargello when it is done.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:56 AM

I still occasionally get a strip turned upside down and/or backwards. YOU are not alone
Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
it does get easier. I promise. Where on the island are you?
Nycquilter, I am in Hauppauge, right in the middle of Long Island.