Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The barn quilts -

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone know if there are patterns available to make the quilt designs that are on the barns across the country?
    My DH would like the pattern (s) to make the ones that actually are the outside ones on the barns. Some are 8 feet by 8 feet!

TIA
    Phyllis

Are you wanting to make wooden ones or fabric ones? I know the ones here in KY that the county Home Extension offices make are just regular quilt blocks you can find in any book. One of the members husbands puts the plywood sheets together to make them 8 x 8 and drafts the patterns on them and then different groups paint them. The the power company mounts them on the barns.

http://barnquilting.ning.com/

Do you know about this site? I just joined but not sure what it is all about or if it might help you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginaky
    Are you wanting to make wooden ones or fabric ones? I know the ones here in KY that the county Home Extension offices make are just regular quilt blocks you can find in any book. One of the members husbands puts the plywood sheets together to make them 8 x 8 and drafts the patterns on them and then different groups paint them. The the power company mounts them on the barns.
    Hello Gina! We have some nice ones around don't we? We see a lot of them around Stamping Ground when we pick up the klids.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    Does anyone know if there are patterns available to make the quilt designs that are on the barns across the country?
    My DH would like the pattern (s) to make the ones that actually are the outside ones on the barns. Some are 8 feet by 8 feet!

TIA
    Phyllis
    Phyllis, 'Quilt Blocks on American Barns' by Eleanor Burns - 2010. It's a beautiful book that shows how to make the blocks on several barns and interviews the people who own the barns along with the history of the quilt blocks painted on the barns. Beautiful book. Pam

Yes, there are lots of nice ones. I'm in Richmond, so we're close together! It's a year long project here at our Madison County Extension ofice.

TIA
    Phyllis
    I have an issue of "The Quilter Magazine" issue Nov.'07', that has several pics and an article on the KY Barn Art. If you would like, I can send you a copy of the article. It's only 3 pages, if allowed I could post it here for others to look and read.

TIA
    Phyllis
    Are you thinking of Hex signs: try going to the library and looking up Penn. Dutch Amish Hex signs. You can do it without a pattern, just by looking at the book picture. I made one for our barn meaning prosperity. Each hex sign has it's own meanings. Here's a pic of ours
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginaky
    Looking to make the wooden ones to hang on barns.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kygirl

TIA
    Phyllis
    I have an issue of "The Quilter Magazine" issue Nov.'07', that has several pics and an article on the KY Barn Art. If you would like, I can send you a copy of the article. It's only 3 pages, if allowed I could post it here for others to look and read.
    Sending you a PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast