Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basic brother mechanical machine >

Basic brother mechanical machine

Basic brother mechanical machine

Old 02-22-2017, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Default Basic brother mechanical machine

I just wanted to put a plug in for my basic Brother mechanical machine. It is the XR-52 bought at Costco about 12 years ago. That machine will sew through anything and will even do a very nice job at FMQ even though thr feed dogs don't drop. I just set the stitch length to zero. I haven't been great about cleaning it. About 9 years ago I made a chenille and flannel quilt and long after it was done I thought to take the plate off and clean it. I couldn't believe how packed with lint it was! And yet it never missed a beat. Today I broke a needle because I didn't have the right foot on for zig zag and took the plate off again and it was packed with fuzz. I cleaned it out and took the side off and oiled the moving parts. The manual says it doesn't need oiling but I've been pretty good about that. I just wanted to give this machine a pat on the back!!
Old 02-22-2017, 04:06 PM

Nice. Don't you wish those higher end machines were as reliable?
Old 02-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Banned

Too bad the newer basic ones aren't as solid. I bought one 2 years ago just to do piecing on. Wanted something easy to move around. It didn't last a year, pieced 3 quilts on it.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:29 PM

My original mechanical brother XL-3010 is still going strong for my MIL. It is 23 years old
Old 02-22-2017, 07:27 PM

My mechanical Brother VX560 still works great and it's 36 or 37 years old. I've pieced, FMQed and done Fmq embroidery with it.

Rob
Old 02-23-2017, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

i have an older machine that i never use. i hesitate getting rid of it because it is about as reliable as yours.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:35 AM

I recently took my 10-year-old Viking Mega Quilter in for a cleaning. The shop owner tried to convince me I should trade it in for $300 toward a new machine. First of all it's not my only sewing machine, I have others that do fancy stitching. But also I like my Mega Quilter. It should last a very long time. The last computerized machine I bought has had numerous problems. Also, my Mega Quilter is worth more than $300.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:47 AM

Just wondering why you don't clean it more often and how often do you change the needle? I'm not criticizing just curious. My sister has an old Kenmore that she uses often enough that she should have cleaned it at some point but she just won't, for most of us who have more than one machine if we mess it up it wouldn't be disastrous but she only has the one I believe hers is 35 years old.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:00 AM

Great. Nice to hear you are satisfied with it. As far as someone saying higher end not so reliable...I am not sure mine falls into higher end area but it was pricey and has performed well...no oiling either 😊
Old 02-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
Just wondering why you don't clean it more often and how often do you change the needle? I'm not criticizing just curious. My sister has an old Kenmore that she uses often enough that she should have cleaned it at some point but she just won't, for most of us who have more than one machine if we mess it up it wouldn't be disastrous but she only has the one I believe hers is 35 years old.
dont know if you meant this for me? I know you aren't criticizing. I guess I am just lazy and had been concentrating on some vintage machines I spent a lot of time with. I am also bad about changing needles! Trying to do better. I do have a lot of machines so none of them gets that much use.