Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basics defined >

Basics defined

Basics defined

Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 AM

Default Basics defined

What categorizes fabric as a 'basic'? I have no clue. When looking at the online stores basics-section, I don't see what they are using to define a fabric as a basic.

I'm hoping to get some help with this. So far I've just been picking material that follows what's on the pattern-picture as close as I'm able. But I'd like to be able to pick my own. However, when I get to a quilt shop or look online, I become very confused.

My local quilt-shop lady said to 'just pick it like you would when you're picking your clothes'. That didn't seem to help me at all.

Hoping you can help,
Dray - SE Oklahoma

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-27-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:22 AM

I usually pick a fabirc I really like with lots of colours. then I pick colours from that fabric for the rest of my quilt. Hope that helps.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:26 AM

In the store where I work, the "basics" are the building blocks of a quilt, the neutrals, the small prints that almost look like solids. These fabrics allow a focus fabric (one with more print or activity in it) to become the main interest in the quilt. Does that help?
Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by debquilts2 View Post
I usually pick a fabirc I really like with lots of colours. then I pick colours from that fabric for the rest of my quilt. Hope that helps.
Yes this is what they say at my LQS. Choose a "focus fabric" that you love. Then choose other fabrics to go with. Sometimes you may end up using all the fabrics except the focus. Never heard the term basics. But may be the same as blenders, solids or fabrics that "read" as solids.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting View Post
Yes this is what they say at my LQS. Choose a "focus fabric" that you love. Then choose other fabrics to go with. Sometimes you may end up using all the fabrics except the focus. Never heard the term basics. But may be the same as blenders, solids or fabrics that "read" as solids.
This is what I do, and I agree that I sometimes don't even use the original focus fabric (in which case I call it my inspiration fabric). Also when you pick out your focus print often there are the color registration dots in the selvedge. These can make it really easy to pick out other fabrics.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:02 AM

@ Paulswalia...ok...I get it...I just went back to connecting threads and looked at their Basics fabrics and it was just like you said...neutrals, solids, and fabrics that had tiny dots, stars, etc. Some are also stripes of varying colors but when you 'squint' or view from a distance it would have a dominant color to it. Thanks...that helped a lot.

Thanks also to those saying to pick a focus fabric and choose colors to go with that. I guess that's what my quilt-shop meant when she said to pick like you would your clothes.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:03 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Here are some basic.....or what I call 'blenders'. They are generally tone-on-tone, with a little 'movement' in the print to make the fabric less 'flat' and more interesting. They 'blend' with lots of focus/theme/inspiration fabrics/

Also neutrals are basics: white, ecru, beige, tan, grays of all kinds, black, pale pastels, etc.

Jan in VA
(Wow, those showed up larger than I realized they would!)
Attached Thumbnails fq1205711.jpg   k12791199.jpg   konaleaf01teal.jpg   pwgp129magenta.jpg   m4207038.jpg  

Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I look for focus fabric that I love with fairly large scale print. I then look at the colour code dots along the selvage to pick other fabric colours to go with it. You can also look for a collection of fabrics that the fabric store might have all together from a certain designer.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 AM

I get confused too, this is helpful .... I think I am a little color blinds .... Always have help at my quilt store...
Old 12-27-2012, 04:10 PM

When I look at patterns I think of either who am giving it to or where I want to put it in my house. From there I get an idea of at least 3 colors that I'd like in the quilt. I try to find one fabric that has 2-3 of my colors in it. Then I build the rest of my fabrics off of the first one.