Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting!! The "B" word >

Basting!! The "B" word

Basting!! The "B" word

Old 05-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Power Poster

I dont mind the basting part, but I do it on the floor, and man, do my knees hurt when I'm done! Thinking of getting those roofers knee pads....
Old 05-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Oh gosh...I just can't do it on the floor anymore and I'm not that old! I moved the operation to the kitchen table (covered and protected of course) and boy....are my knees and back ever happy about that! :lol:
Old 05-22-2010, 06:38 AM

Since no one mentioned it....You CAN go to your local longarm quilter and have her baste it for you! It's a real quick process for us, and it won't cost you much. Your quilt sandwich will be held securely and you won't have to deal with pins! When you are done quilting a section, just pull the threads. I use big stitches, and I make the tension loose so that the threads pull easy.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Shelley
Since no one mentioned it....You CAN go to your local longarm quilter and have her baste it for you! It's a real quick process for us, and it won't cost you much. Your quilt sandwich will be held securely and you won't have to deal with pins! When you are done quilting a section, just pull the threads. I use big stitches, and I make the tension loose so that the threads pull easy.
About how much should it cost to have a queen size quilt basted?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:01 PM

I tried hand basting on a queen size quilt. The foot on the machine was caught in the stitches more often than not, and pulled them and puckered the quilt and made me lose my temper. I use a 6 ft table, hold down the backing firmly and tightly with clamps, then lay the batting and the quilt top on the backing -- then start in the middle pinning (with safety pins) the sandwich, and smoothing as I go, working toward the edges.. Gives great results but honestly, I hate the process. Guess that's why I have a lot more quilt tops than I do completed quilts...
Old 05-22-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by carol45
About how much should it cost to have a queen size quilt basted?
I've been quoted $35 plus postage, which would run about $40 more dollars. That's too expensive for me at this time.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:27 PM

A group of quilters from my guild get together once a month and they help to baste each other's quilts at the senior center. They all benefit eventually and it makes the work go faster with so many hands, plus it's an excuse to 'Stitch and B....'.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:54 PM

She mentioned in her first post that the longarm quilters in her area won't do basting. They must have more work than they want.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:31 PM

Thank you for the information about the pinning helpers. I am leaving now to get some.

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
If you pin baste, you'll wonder how you ever got along without these tools.

http://www.patchworks.com/fingertips.htm

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=1621
===========================================
What lovely ideas I'm getting from this site!!

I've never heard of these before, just shows how much there is that I
still have to learn, even though I'm 76 and in my second childhood!
And boy, am I having fun!!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the links

Originally Posted by Minda
I use safety pin covers and a Kwik Klip when I pin bast (no more sore fingers). I use the Kwik Klip to close the pins and to open them when I remove them. It's one of the best quilting investments I've ever made. The clips are tedious to put on, but once they are on you never take them off. I also always store my safety pins open. When you are ready to pin just shake a clump of pins over the area you are working on and they fall right apart. The first site below shows how they work, but the second site has better prices. If you pin baste, you'll wonder how you ever got along without these tools. :D :D :D

http://www.patchworks.com/fingertips.htm

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=1621