Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Basting a quilt with boards

Watched the video of Sharon Shaumbers basting using boards. Seemed easy so I had my SO cut and sand two boards for me. Going to give it a try. Question, have any of you done this, how did you like it, and any tips I need to be aware of before I start?

I just did it. It seems to have worked out very well, have not FMQ it yet. It is a large quilt, so it took a few hours for me to get it done- but to avoid ripples and tucks, it will have been worth the time. The only tip I would give you is to thread up a few needles because it takes alot of thread, easier to have a few ready so you will not be constantly stopping to thread. Good luck.

Thanks, I will do that as with my eyes it takes me more than a few minutes to thread anything. I have been taping and pinning and that is so hard on my fingers and a pain in the butt taking them out as you quilt. I don't have the thread Sharon was using but I do have some heavy hand quilting thread I thought might work just as well.

I bought doll making needles to use for basting needles and I can use cheap crochet thread to baste with. The doll making needles are between 3 and 4 inches long and have a big eye so they're easy to thread.

Blog Entries
    I have used this method with great success. I use regular thread and have not had a problem. I do have 2 sets of boards so I can baste different sizes of quilts. The longer needles help make quick work of, what I find to be, a tedious job.

Would you please post a link to this video? TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheriver
    Watched the video of Sharon Shaumbers basting using boards. Seemed easy so I had my SO cut and sand two boards for me. Going to give it a try. Question, have any of you done this, how did you like it, and any tips I need to be aware of before I start?

I did not use the thread Sharon used. I used wash away thread so I do not have to pick it out or risk tearing stitches of quilting. When the quilt is done I just wash and the thread is gone.

I would also like a link to the site.

In your search bar at the top of your screen (for me it is Google) type in Sharon Schamber's board basting. That is how I get there.

I don't use the boards, but I use the herringbone basting technique from that video and like it a lot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast