Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting A Quilt Using Spray Starch ! >

Basting A Quilt Using Spray Starch !

Basting A Quilt Using Spray Starch !

Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 PM

Default Basting A Quilt Using Spray Starch !

Okay, call me crazy ( I take no offense to that anyway ! ) , but I made a very awesome mistake turned light bulb moment today ! While I was going through getting my quilt blocks sandwiched to do my QAYG quilt I am working on, I was happily spraying and pressing away till the phone rang and disrupted me. When I went back to finish , I started out where I left off, going about spraying and pressing again, until I looked at the can that was in my hand. It had suddenly dawned on me that I was spraying with the purple can (Easy On Spray Starch ), and not the red ( 505 Basting Spray ) ! Not ony that, but my can of 505 was still sitting on my wine rack ( they make awesome can holders btw ! )I had not been using it all day ! I thought to myself, CRAP ! Actually I said that out loud LOL. But Here I was thinking I was going to have to go back and redo ALL those blocks all over again ! But, amazingly enough ... I didn't ! Check out the video below to see my new favorite ( and budget friendly ) way to baste !

I added a new video tutorial to the boards tutorial section as well if anyone would like to see how I did things !

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...h-t242179.html
Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 PM

Just watched video. Than you for sharing a cheaper and looks much more smooth method.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:59 PM

That is so timely! Today I was going to do something similar. I tried to use liquid starch in a spray bottle to baste a table runner I'm making, but the nozzle must have been too small. I'm sure I've seen starch in spray bottles, so I'm going to try to find it. Otherwise, thanks to your post, I know my idea is possible, and I can just use the aeresol can like you did. Thank you so much!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:02 PM

Another cost saving method for the starch is to invest in a Misto bottle. I bought mine on Amazon, they are made to use in the kitchen for cooking oils. You put the liquid into the bottle then pump the lid to build the air pressure so it works just like an aerasol can, only with no added chemicals and it is refillable ! Mine currently has elmers glue / water mix in it, but let me tell you it is getting soaked and washed to be used for starch now instead !
Old 02-27-2014, 07:39 PM

Wow!! Thank you for a very much less expensive alternative. I suppose you could say that sometimes the Mother of Invention is not Necessity but Absentmindedness. Love it!!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:23 PM

Thank you for sharing, just watched your tutorial. I will give this a try.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 PM

This makes sense when you remember that Elmer's washable glue we are in love with, is really starch.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:36 AM

I tried the Elmer's glue/water solution and put it in a spray bottle. Still had some lumps. Wasn't a huge fan. I might try this method instead. Thanks for share that aha moment.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:37 AM

Sorry, I also absolutely love the wine rack idea in a sewing room. Might even place a bottle or two of wine in it!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
Sorry, I also absolutely love the wine rack idea in a sewing room. Might even place a bottle or two of wine in it!
Mine is one of those accordion type ones, that I have attached to my peg board. Floor space is limited, so I needed something I could attach to the board and when I saw this at the goodwill I HAD to grab it !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464875[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn2599.jpg