Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Basting spray ALERT!

I've not heard of this happening before....check out this article. http://myqbot.blogspot.com/

In short -- a woman used basting spray on her quilt and it yellowed the white backing. The yellow won't come out. I DO question whether she put the quilt in a heated dryer to fluff it after quilting.......maybe it set the spray in -- I don't know. But just an ALERT!!!! :shock:

Blog Entries
    It would help to know which brand of spray it was and whether it was in-date or out-of-date. I went to the blog and it didn't say.

Someone else here posted about yellow stains from a basting spray, but it was an off-brand and also quite old.

Thanks for the warning. I don't use white very much for anything...a holdover from having 5 little boys (who are now all taller than me)!

I love basting sprays. Use them all the time. But on the last quilt I finished it left 2 stains on a darker tan color. It dried looking wet in 2 spots. I did wash the quilt in cold to try and get them out and nothing. They were both just bigger than a quarter. Not sure what happened. They showed up immediately. I didn't have a problem anywhere but those two spots. I thought maybe I used a bit too much. makes me a bit leery now

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    Thanks for the warning. I don't use white very much for anything...a holdover from having 5 little boys (who are now all taller than me)!
    So funny. Do you remember, mom-6, the first time you shook your finger at one of those boys and realized you were having to look up to do it? I still remember that--even if it was 40 yrs. ago. I had to exit the room quickly afterward so I could laugh at myself. To their credit, they didn't laugh at me.

Blog Entries
    I have a short daughter who used to baby-sit for her taller nieces and she would make them sit on a footstool so she could shake her finger at them!!!

Blog Entries
    I've never used it and I don't think I will start. Thanks for alerting us to this information.

Blog Entries
    Is it possible the yellowing is caused by using too much of the basting spray?

thanks for the warning!

It would be nice to know the brand that people are having staining issues. Iam wondering if it is one specific brand are more than one that is causing this staining.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast