Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
basting spray question >

basting spray question

basting spray question

Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 AM

Default basting spray question

We do several charity quilts each year and I have more or less set up a system: friend makes tops sends them to me to be quilted then to her for binding and back to me for laundering.....My question is I tend to do "assembley line" quilting....so Question is: Can I spray baste several tops, batting, and backs then set them aside to quilt later? Will the spray still work holding the layers together or is there a time frame for the holding power? I like to get the mess of spray glue done and put away before I start sewing. Thanks for your help> Carol
Old 11-18-2012, 07:32 AM

Yes you can and it has held for longer than 6 months for me
Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 AM

Thanks Carslo I can not go spray for the next few hours and maybe tomorrow after the B Day party I can again start quilting. Have a great Holiday Season.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:23 AM

The lenght of time the sticky or tackiness of the basting spray can vary depending on what brand, and the humidity that it is stored. Best to store sprayed but unquilted in an airtight container. I have some of the supersized zip lock bags I use for this purpose.
Not sure which brand of basting spray you are using.. so can't comment on how long it will stay basted.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

I have had basting spray hold indefinitely, but I use only 505 brand. I know other brands hold also, but do not know for how long or how well.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 AM

I have one basted (with puckers) that I keep hoping will loose it's sticky. So far it's been 3 months and it's still stuck.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I have one basted (with puckers) that I keep hoping will loose it's sticky. So far it's been 3 months and it's still stuck.
I am currently using 404 as they were out of 505 plus I got it for 40% off. PUCKERS something to make me say things under my breath. I usually pull it apart and try again. This usually happens with the larger quilts. Of course when I finally finish I feel like I need a shower. Otherwise I sort of look like a snowman! Even then it takes days before I finally get it all off my hands. Had one can of 505 that sprayed sideways no matter how I tried to clean the spray spout. I gave up and threw the can away. Too much aggervation!