Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Basting

Blog Entries
    My DH was watching me baste with safety pins yesterday. The quilt is 102' x 118" so as you can imagine, I used alot of safety pins. DH looked at me for a minute and asked " Why do you use so many? Isn't there a faster, easier way to do that?" Well, I was dumbfounded. I knew he supported my passion, but, didn't realize, he actually paid attention. I answered " I suppose, but, it would require basting spray, which, stinks, and I really don't have the space to do it in here and have proper ventalation." I have always used safety pins, and other than chipping fingernails, I don't mind it. I have never basted with thread and am leary of the sprays. Do any of you have other suggestions, as to basting quilts?

I only use the safety pins. I don't like the idea of spraying more chemicals on quilts or in my house.

I stick with the pins or pay my LA'er to do it. I try not to use unnecessary chemicals, so the spray is out.

I've only used just the safety pins(that's how my DM does it too). I'm sure if I used the spray, I'd find it's easier it and probably like it(from other comments on this board), but I have bad lungs.

I pin all my big quilts...I use spray on the small ones (twin size or smaller).

I use to have a basting gun, but I never used it...I gave it away to another quilter, so I don't know if those work or not, maybe someone else could speak about those.

There's a thread going on currently about basting guns - I use mine all the time
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87219-1.htm

I have always pinned and basted. Don't like the chemicals in the sprays and would not use them. Now I wonder if I could just use more pins and not baste????

I used to pin. I now spray.

Have you seen the video by Sharon Schamber on Hand Basting?
    I think it looks easier but haven't tried it yet. did buy the boards
    today at menards.

Quote Originally Posted by sosew4fun
    Have you seen the video by Sharon Schamber on Hand Basting?
    I think it looks easier but haven't tried it yet. did buy the boards
    today at menards.
    I was in one of Sharon's classes at Quilting in the Desert and found it was very easy to hand baste even with my hand arthritis. If I wasn't doing a quilt with a LA I'd consider either spray basting or this. BTW, the 505 doesn't bother my asthma and worked really well.

ali

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast