Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting tape >

Basting tape

Basting tape

Old 11-16-2015, 03:45 PM

Default Basting tape

I have read lately about basting tape for borders. I went to JoAnns and looked at the several different ones that they had. They all were double faced tape, but all said do not sew thru.
What should I be looking for?
Old 11-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

I don't know what basting tape for borders is. Do you mean bias binding tape?
Old 11-16-2015, 04:53 PM

Onebyone has asked the question I have. Will be happy to help with more info.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

I hadn't heard of using basting tape for quilting either, so I looked online for some answers. I found some sources saying that the basting tape should be left in and others saying it's never left in. Most of them were using the tape for heavier fabrics, like sail making, rather than for quilting. Some gave advice on how to keep your needle from getting gunky, but still said to remove the tape when done. The best I can figure is that you would use a thin tape that just goes in the seam allowance and not sew directly on it, then remove it when you're done sewing. I think I'll stick with pins! Or another solution is to use washable glue. I don't do that (yet) but many people do.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:47 PM

Thank you, dunster, for enlightening the rest of us.

I've occasionally used Elmer's School Glue instead of pins, and it works just fine (as long as you wash the quilt at the end, of course). FWIW I've gone back to using either pins or Clover "wonder clips" - mostly pins.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:40 PM

I have used water soluble basting tape on heirloom sewing projects. It works very well, and I have considered it for basting bindings. The only thing that keeps me from it is the cost - Elmers glue is a lot cheaper :-). The type of tape I had completely washed out of the very fine batiste fabric I used so I am sure it would wash out of a quilt. The brand I used was Wash-A-Way Wonder Tape. It sewed beautifully, even with a 65/9 needle and 50 and 60 weight thread. No adhesive build up on my needle at all. After my experience with on the heirloom projects, I started using it to keep plaids matched up and to do zippers on garments. Can you tell I am a fan?

Pam
Old 11-17-2015, 02:27 AM

I guess I was thinking binding and typed borders. I have read where people are using a double sided tape for binding, after it is sewn to the back and wrapped around to the front. They are using that instead of pins or clips. I was sure I had read it on here.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:11 AM

I think I saw this done on Sewing With Nancy, but don't remember which episode. You might see what she sells at Nancy's Notions.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:17 AM

Google Dritz Quilting "WashAway Wonder Tape" This might be what you are looking for. It's what I use to hold the binding in place on the back of the quilt to finish the binding.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

I have use Wonder Tape for piecing but never used it for bindings. I didn't realize it was binding tape.