Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BASTING IS FOR TURKEYS!! >

BASTING IS FOR TURKEYS!!

BASTING IS FOR TURKEYS!!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 PM

I give up! I am no longer going to pretend that being a 'kitchen table quilter' is all butterflies and roses!! I love the fabrics.. the designs.. the planning the piecing the quilting.. what I don't like.. the basting!!

Tonight I am pin basting a twin size quilt for my 5 year old... and despite the fact that I have a room dedicated to my quilting.. (well almost, I kinda took over the dining room) and that I have two 6 foot by approx 3 foot tables that I unfold and put together to make a fairly large square table surface ... I still can't properly pin baste without lumps and bumps.

I have pinned projects to the carpet before.. but, it's 90 degrees here and I am not loving how hot it is kneeling on the floor ... not to mention that the second I put a blanket on the floor two lovable labs decide that it is their chance to look as cute as possible and roll around on it with me...

I am thinking of putting together one of those "make your own quilt frame" frames that I see online.. buying a frame already made is cost prohibitive for me.. heck I can sometimes barely afford the fabric : ] ..

Anyone have luck with those quilt frame projects?
Any other tips and tricks you long time quilters have for me?

My husband has been trying to dream up ways to build me something or tricks to help me.. but not being a quilter himself his well-meaning assistance is kind but not hitting the mark....

I look forward to all your experienced tips : ]
Kim
Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

Why aren't you spray basting???

I should add that an easy way to spray baste is to get a sheet of plywood and inexpensive sawhorses at the hardware store, and I would get maybe 6 of the best hand clamps they have. Set this up in you driveway when you need to baste. I'm really slow, but I could baste a twin sized quilt in 30 minutes max this way. Set up, tear down, and storage are all easy. Monetary investment is fairly minimal.

After learning how to spray baste, I have never pin-basted another quilt. Also, after using several different brands of basting spray, I would recommend biting the bullet and paying a little more for 505.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:54 PM

I like to use the spray basting. 505 is the best stuff around. If it's a small item I baste it together on my dining room table. If it's larger we go over the church, of which my husband is a pastor at and push together tables. So much better than pinning or getting down on the floor!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:54 PM

Sometimes you can use a room at a library, church or senior center. I am lucky and can use the conference table at my office after hours.

good luck to you
Old 06-28-2011, 09:18 PM

Is there a problem with overspray or fumes when you use this inside?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:34 PM

You could also try this method. I find it makes the quilt very stable so there's no shifting at all. Plus there's no fumes or chemicals. Be sure and watch part 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 PM

I like to experience all the methods once..this is what I have tried...

I have used pins...it's ok..but hurts to open and close them after a while...

then I tried the gun with the little plastic fasteneres..ok but a pain to cut them off...

then I tried glue basting..I like it a lot...

I tried hand basting..by taping the backing down, then the batting and the top..hard to keep it all spread out...

I tried Sharon Shamber's method using the boards..you can watch it on You Tube and I really really like this method...for all of the reasons explained in the videos...and I got good results....

I think spray basting with 505 is the easiest.. I am not fond of the chemicals...but definitely will use this method and Sharon's
Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 PM

sharon shambers method watch her video
Old 06-28-2011, 09:55 PM

Let's hear it for Spray Basting, but only with 505. I spread an old king size sheet on my queen bed and do all sizes by doing it in sections. These old knees can't crawl!!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:03 PM

I love Sharon's method. I can't use sprays, sensitive to something it it.