Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batik Fabric Info >

Batik Fabric Info

Batik Fabric Info

Old 11-01-2010, 07:02 AM

I've never used batik fabric .There are pretty quilts on here using batiks.Some posters say they love them & a few say they don't Guess what I'm wondering is what's not to like. Is it hard to cut,wash or ?? Do the seams sew ok by machine?
How is it quilted? I don't hand quilt,but can do a loopy "don't look too close" :-) by machine.
Is a plain pattern best, so to show off the fabric? I don't know anything, so need any info you have on batiks.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:07 AM

I love working with batiks. The thread count is higher than the usual quilting fabrics. Some don't like to hand quilt it because of that. It doesn't seam to fray as much as other fabrics.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by justme2
I've never used batik fabric .There are pretty quilts on here using batiks.Some posters say they love them & a few say they don't Guess what I'm wondering is what's not to like. Is it hard to cut,wash or ?? Do the seams sew ok by machine?
How is it quilted? I don't hand quilt,but can do a loopy "don't look too close" :-) by machine.
Is a plain pattern best, so to show off the fabric? I don't know anything, so need any info you have on batiks.
I also enjoy using them. I have found them very easy to work with and there is no wrong side to them unless they are embelished.(sp) I have used all sorts of machine quilting on them.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:21 AM

I love working with Batik fabric, the creations using it are wonderful, it doesn't fray when applique is used. It is harder to hand sew with.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 AM

I dislike Batiks, but it's because of how they look, not how they handle. They just don't do it for me.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:13 AM

A lot of folks think that because of higher thread count that they are more difficult to "needle" when hand stitching. I disagree. I do LOTS of hand stitching and I use LOTS of batiks. Just love the look and feel.. I LOVE BATIK!!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 AM

I love batiks and have used hundreds of yards. A couple of notes:
Do use a smaller needle size, the thightly woven higher thread count, large needles make a much larger hole than neccessary.
PRE- TREAT with Retayne , before you cut use retayne, SO MANY batiks will run/bleed. It is far better to solve this problem before assembly.
If you starch(spray) let the starch soak in for at least 30 minutes. You will get much better results.
When first starting to use batiks becareful when buying on line, the small squares that a shown may not show all of the colors in the yardage.
To start pick simple patterns that will showcase the fabric(s).
I love bargello quilts done in batiks, they always captivate me.
Batiks Are an ADDICTION.... I know of no known cure. Proceed with a budget!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:37 AM

I love love love batiks!!! they are great because there is so much that you can do with them. As many have said they are really an addiction. some don't like them because there are some bad bleeders out there, but that is just like with most other fabrics. just have to be careful.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

i also love working with batiks and i hand piece alot. the one problem is some batiks bleed (ALOT!)
so, if you are going to try using some make sure you pre-wash, or at least test for color fastness before putting them into that fabulous quilt!
Old 11-01-2010, 10:27 AM

I would say if you are piecing Universal needles work fine with most 100% cotton fabrics, but for batiks I would consider changing to Sharps. :) Just my 2 cents.