Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batik fat quarters >

Batik fat quarters

Batik fat quarters

Old 02-11-2012, 01:17 PM

Default Batik fat quarters

I am taking a convergence quilting class and need fat quarter batiks. Where is your favorite place to buy them? Online? LQS? Just buy yardage and cut my own?
Old 02-11-2012, 02:44 PM

all of the above!! I have found that i often wish I had more than a fat quarter gives you so I buy 1/2 yards and whole yards, depending on how much I like it... good luck
Old 02-11-2012, 02:47 PM

Joann's carries them. Just look in the regular quilting fabric area. Usually they are at about eye level running along the fabric display walls (on a little plastic shelf-container thing). You have probably noticed regular fabric fat quarters there. I have purchased some very nice ones, but do check each as some are poor quality, looking faded and thin. They are only $1.99 but go on sale at times for only 99 cents to $1.29 each. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2012, 03:34 PM

Thousands of bolts carries fat 1/4 of batiks. Sometimes its actually easier to buy Fat 1/4 bundles , that try to buy them seperately. Lots more places sell bundles than individual fat
1/4ths.

Last edited by Lori S; 02-11-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

on line at:

Batiks Etcetera, Batiks Plus, Bayside Fabrics, Blue Bamboo, The Pine Needle, Fabric.com, to name a few that i have been happy with.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:07 PM

where ever they have them and i do prefer to get yardage because a fq doesn't do me much good. well unless i only need a square of it. but even then i still like to have extra. depending on what you are making and what colors you love just do with that.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:31 PM

I may be asking a dumb question, but what exactly is a "convergence quilt class"? I am not familiar with that term.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
I may be asking a dumb question, but what exactly is a "convergence quilt class"? I am not familiar with that term.
I think Ricky Timms has a book called convergence quilts and it is an interesting technique.

Here's a link to the book on amazon. (Hope it's ok to post this link)
http://www.amazon.com/Ricky-Tims-Con.../dp/157120217X
Old 02-11-2012, 07:35 PM

www.fabricfanatics.com in Plano, TX has 3500 bolts of fabric, all of it is batiks. I was in Plano a year ago ago and found this place and I was amazed! The prices are a lot cheaper than the stores so I had to stock up. I made two trips to the store in 3 days. I went to my hotel and spread it all out on the bed and just looked at it. I took a photo and e-mailed back home to my husband. He knew I was excited and told me to go back and get more! I had to go to Wal-Mart and bought an inexpensive duffle bag to pack my purchases in. Luckily I was flying on Southwest so I didn't have to pay for the extra bag at check-in.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:46 PM

I have the convergance quilt book by Ricky Tims. Haven't played with it yet but I'm going to. The quilts are small, more wall hanging size. One thing he recommends is thinking a lot about the border of the quilt and extending the design into that. If you buy extra batik you'll enough to consider using some in the border. I think I'd get a minimum half yard rather than fat quarter.