Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: batik question

batik question

I am going to make myself a jacket out of batik fabric. Will it shrink? Do I need to prewash? I kind of hope not because I want to get started on it tonight. The patterns states that it is truly a 3 hour project. Yeah, right! It's been a long, long time since I have sewn any clothes.

I always prewash but I think it is really a personal prefrence. Would not want to put that much work in to it just to have it shrink when washed. I understand wanting to get started right away though!!!!

Blog Entries
    I would wash it by hand. Not so much for the shrinkage - but for the bleeding. I just got done gently hand washing all of my batiks - over 200 pieces - from fat quarters to yardage - and at least half of it bled. I did all of them in a pure white dish pan in my kitchen sink and most of the darker, brighter colors turned the water into colored water. I gently rung the water out of them and then rolled up in big thirsty towels and let them sit for awhile. Then I hung them over a clothesline in my living room that my DH put up for me - I did not want them outside in the sun. Most did not wrinkly too much this way.
    Nikki in MO

I just asked about this in the chat room. Someone said that it probably wouldn't shrink but that color bleeding might be a problem. Shoot! I guess I will go throw it in the washer. Thanks for your help mighty.

Nikkilu, is there a reason not to just wash it in the washer and then dry in the dryer? Why hand wash?

Blog Entries
    Smaller pieces will get very tangled- also you might want to throw some color catchers in the wash with them. When I was washing my Batiks even the blues and greens ran there is also a chemical you can get to help set the colors--Retayne- had to think for a moment LOL
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

This is a 4 yard piece of fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
    Nikkilu, is there a reason not to just wash it in the washer and then dry in the dryer? Why hand wash?
    No, had just washed dishes and had a clean white dishpan and decided to dunk a few bright fat quarters in the water with a drop of soap and boy was I surprised. I swished the FQ around a bit and then rinsed until the water was clear. I actually had to throw away two pieces that would never quit bleeding. One was a very dark blue - the other had green in it.
    Nikki in MO

Thanks for your quick replies everyone. It is in the washer.
    Last edited by Pam H; 11-08-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    since it is a batik, i would definitely wash it first.
    Nancy in western NY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast