Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batik Question

I've never used this fabric before.

I don't prewash some fabrics (pre-cuts)

So I know you don't always have to prewash.

I HATE having to iron yards after the prewash.

With Batik, do you HAVE TO prewash?

To wash or not wash, is a personal choice I think...I don't wash.....Cool thing about Batiks..they don't ravel that much...

San

You don't HAVE TO prewash any fabric. Batiks may have more bleeding than some other fabrics, so it is good precaution to pre wash. I prefer to pre wash all my fabric as I purchase it. I fold it straight from the dryer, smoothing it as much as I can. Only ironing it as I need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by inemmausinn
    I've never used this fabric before.

I don't prewash some fabrics (pre-cuts)

So I know you don't always have to prewash.

I HATE having to iron yards after the prewash.

With Batik, do you HAVE TO prewash?
    It is easy enough to check the fabric for potential bleed problems. simply clip a corner and put it in clear water. I like to use a white Pyrex type custard cup, easier for me to see if color is going into the water with the white background. If the batik bleeds, you will have to prewash, treating with retayne dye fixative.

I'm a pre-washer, so my opinion may be biased, but I always wash batiks. I've had more bleeding problems with them than just about anything else - in fact, a batik in a block I received from someone else in a swap almost ruined the entire quilt when I washed it after I had quilted it. I went through a couple of days of agony trying to resolve the issue, and I've been leery of batiks ever since - but I still love them!

RST
    Blog Entries
    If I do wash, it will be a red or purple batik. I've had those run.

I also make a distinction between "real" batiks, the kind that are made with wax resist, and the batik style prints. The "real" stuff-- yes, definitely wash and use with caution. The prints in my experience are very stable (with exception of reds).

RST

I have been using batiks for years and have never had them run. I never prewash. I do buy LQS quality fabrics, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

As a rule never trust a batik not to run.

the thing about batik's is...they are hand dyed...and not always rinsed totally well...even if you never pre-wash your fabrics where batiks are concerned...better safe than sorry! at least test each one for color bleeding...if you wet a batik, rub it with a white cloth and color comes off...you need to wash it..until no more color runs. i have spent money on really expensive batiks that have run horribly and i've bought some that did not run at all...where batiks are concerned it is always best to at least test :thumbup:
    2 years ago i made my mom a new quilt, it has a (grandmas's flower garden) pot of flowers in the center and was patchwork...white, blues and purples...i did pre-wash all of my batiks...and made the quilt...it turned out lovely and she loves it...stopped by a couple weeks ago and was totally SHOCKED when i saw the quilt on her bed--i dont know what kind of detergent she is using but there is not a white spot on the quilt!the whole quilt is now a mottled blue/purple! i was really upset..but did not say anything except...geez, guess i should have pre-washed those fabrics huh?...which i had done and i washed the quilt before i gave it to her...but those fabrics are bleeding like crazy now ;-)

Never prewash

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast