Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batiks - right and wrong sides?

Batiks - right and wrong sides?

I've been working this weekend on a new quilt that will be a gift to my daughter's college advisor upon her graduation next month. Without his guidance she would not have stayed in school and I consider him a family freind to all of us now. My question is, I'm using batiks - my first time - and I'm having a terrible time telling the front from the back of many of the fabrics. Is there one? Most of the fabrics are Tonga Treat Strips though I supplimented as I needed blocks as well. Does it matter?
    Shannon

YES there is, a slight difference can be found by examing each side under a good light, one side will be more distinctly patterend, slightly brighter colour.

There was a thread about this just recently. The consensus was that although there probably is a right side, you could use either. Some people actually prefer the 'wrong' side. As shadoh says, often the right side is slightly more defined. If it bothers you, mark the wrong side with a small chalk mark before/as you cut.
    Lang may yer lum reek.

Blog Entries
    I often use the wrong side of fabric because I just like the shading better. As said here once before: I bought both sides so I get the decide for myself!

there is NO right or wrong---use the side you like the best...sometimes colors/design may be more vibrant on one side, but either side can be used without concern
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

My understanding is that if it is a high quality batik, there is no right or wrong side. I can't tell a difference and I won't over analyze to determine a difference. Only th cheaper batiks I bought at Joanne's showed a difference between sides.

I figure if I can not tell no one else will either.

I believe there is a right and "the other" side to batik. I have made 2 quilts in the last 6 months using batiks for the first time. I thought I would be able to figure it out and keep it figured out as to what was the right side. WRONG. I gave up worrying about it and produced 2 very nice quilts. I know sometimes the batiks ended up with both sides of the fabric showing but honestly you can't tell. Don't fret it and enjoy the process.

With most batiks, you can use either. Before you use your fabric, look closely at both sides, fold one side up against the other and see if you can see any significant difference. If you can't, just go ahead and use the fabric and not worry about it. If you can see a difference, and want to definitely use one side only, then do something to mark on the back side of the pieces so you will be using the side you want for the right side of the quilt.

Thanks everyone. Too late for chalk on this one so I'm going with... if I can't tell no one else will either.
    Shannon