Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? Batik's >

? Batik's

? Batik's

Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
Great thread! I LOVE batiks but always avoided them because I was afraid that it would be the start of a whole 'nuther stash!! But, I'm now starting to pick some up. How do you handle jelly roll strips?
I have this Idea: PIN Them At the Beginning+Ends,in Bunches, with Large Brass Safety pins, like colors together,Put in a Mesh bag and Wash As the other QB members have Said.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:48 AM

I would never wash jelly rolls. Look at any JR book and it will say to not pre-wash.
If I make a JR quilt with batiks I would probably choose a pattern with no white
or light colors. Just think where the culprits will bleed on.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Batiks do not ravel like regular cotton prints...in fact they hardly ravel at all.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Retayne needs 140ºF water temp in order to work according to the instructions, not cold water. Salt will not set excess fiber reactive dyes, which is what is used on cotton fabrics, nor will vinegar.
My comments exactly!
Old 09-09-2012, 06:34 PM

I wash batiks (and any other quilting fabric) the same as I do my regular laundry....like colors together. I guess I've been very lucky because I've NEVER had an issue with batiks running/bleeding. I wash in the hottest water my machine has, with regular detergent and dry in the dryer. I never use color catchers unless I've found a color that bleeds and I've, unfortunately, only discovered that AFTER the quilt was completed. And it wasn't a batik!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:32 PM

If you don't want to wash you can always cut off a snippet of fabric and test for running, than you know you have to wash but it prevents you from washing tons of fabrics you don't need to wash IMHO
Old 09-10-2012, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
If you don't want to wash you can always cut off a snippet of fabric and test for running, than you know you have to wash but it prevents you from washing tons of fabrics you don't need to wash IMHO
No need to cut it to test it. Simply rub a couple spots with a damp Q-tip and if it picks up any color, it will run. On the other hand, if it doesn't, it's not a for-sure guarantee that it won't run...you may just have missed testing the spots that do. Another reason for pre-washing.