Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Which batiks???

Blog Entries

Which batiks???

What type of batiks do you use? if anyone has used Moda batiks could you tell us what you thought. Also which are better Indonesian, Bali or what. Your opinions appreciated.

i often use Hoffman batiks.
    most are so close to being the same people have no idea there is a difference between Bali's, Hoffmans, .... the biggest difference i've noticed are the actual designs---block printing, color wash, drizzles, ect...visit BatiksPlus, or Bayside Fabrics---to browse a couple great selections...then check out their links-- or check out the list of shops on the fabshophop to find other quilt shops that are carrying them- some shops will allow you to order swatches so you can compare different fabrics....
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy
    Colleen's custom quilting; longarm services and custom quilt commissions.

Sumatra by Blank Quilting. Batiks are produced in various areas of Indonesia. Bali, Sumatra, etc. Blank Quilting Sumatra Batiks ' are "fair trade" batiks. That means that the families that make their batiks are compensated at a recognized fair wage for that area.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Hi Katesnana,
    Like me you have probably had batiks given to you by friends returning from holidays in Indonesia/Bali (and I have picked up many $2 sarong lengths at garage sales from people who obviously did not like the souvenirs that were brought home as presents!)The true batiks that I first encountered in Djakarta in 1969 had sharp, clear and intricate designs on monochrome backgrounds, nothing like the popular 'shadowy' designs of today's quilting batiks. I love both types, and often use the older type batiks for quilt backs -- the modern ones are out of my price range at the moment, but I won't be able to resist them forever.

I love the Batiks from Connecting Threads.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    I love the Batiks from Connecting Threads.
    I'm really happy to hear your comment about Connecting Threads. I just ordered ten 1 yard pieces of batiks from them. This is my 1st order with them.

I also love the batiks from Connecting Threads. They once sent me the wrong fabric, told me to keep it and then promptly sent the correct one. They have good prices too.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your answers. Can't buy from connecting threads as they don't post international.
    Sandygirl, thank you for the heads up about fair trade batiks from Blank Quilting. I will check them out

gspsplease, Wish I had received some as present but sadly, no. Family have been traveling in Europe and America in 2012. They all consider I have too much fabric. Non quilters each & everyone of them, they just don't understand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
    I have too much fabric.
    Such sacrilege! There is no such thing!! Lol

Have you tried www.fabricfanatics.com They only sell batiks and have thousands of them. I have purchased a lot of fabric from them and have always been happy.