Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batik's >

Batik's

Batik's

Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 PM

is there one sure fire way to know front from back? sometimes I can tell and sometimes I can't. I don't want to make someone a quilt and have them say "Look at what that ding bat did . She put the wrong side up" :)
Old 07-26-2010, 05:04 PM

I don't think there is a back and front on batiks. Anyway if you can't tell why do you think anyone else will be able to?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:08 PM

I have the same problem! :mrgreen: But usually if I hold the fabric where I can see both sides at once, one side is a little "sharper" in detail than the other, or has a smidge more color.

If I'm still not sure, I get a second opinion from DH.

And then if neither of us is sure, I just pick a side and go with it. I figure if the two sides are THAT close, nobody will know if it's wrong-side-out anyway. :)

Sometimes I mark or safety-pin the right side of the fabric when I buy it, when it's still folded from the manufacturer. Then it's easy to tell which side is which after it's been washed. Unless the manufacturer put it on the bolt backwards .... Aaaahh! :-o :lol: ;)
Old 07-26-2010, 05:11 PM

If you can't tell, I'm pretty sure the dingbat that would say something like that can't either ;-)
Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 PM

There is no wrong side, there's the front side and the other side. If you can't tell it doesn't make any difference which you use
Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Most are hard to tell. I think the front is often a bit sharper or brighter in color.

Once I decide which is front, I mark the back of the whole piece with chalk pencil. I draw squiggly lines every few inches. That way, most if not all pieces will have a marking and I don't have to re-examine each piece as I come to it.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

They were talking about fabrics on the last Fons and Porters that I watched and they said there isn't a right and wrong side on batiks.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:53 PM

I do the same as katier825.

When it is so difficult to tell the front from back, if you consistantly use one side it doesn't matter.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

there is no right or wrong side to a batik, use which ever side you like best. and as far as that goes...you pay for both sides of your fabric, there is no reason to not use both sides batik or not...this was pointed out to me by a 20 year old guy who was making the cutest kangaroo block i ever saw...and i pointed out...oops, you turned one of the fabrics over, the wrong side is up...he said..."i pay for both sides of the fabric, so i use both sides; and i liked it better that way!"...and he was right, the fabric blended well as he used it, had it been turned over to the 'right-side' it would have been glaring and not worked at all. I have noticed the people who make 'water-color' quilts turn the fabrics over alot to help witht he blending. so don't limit your self...look at both sides of your fabric; once in a while the back side will be exactly what you need :)
Old 07-27-2010, 06:00 AM

One side is usually a little sharper, but you really can't tell which side went in when it is in a quilt. Also another why to tell in all fabric one side is a little grainery than the other. That side is the wrong side.