Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: batting and backing

Blog Entries

Question batting and backing

I am making a quilt and they want it to be warm. So do I use 2 layers of batting?? or fleece and batting??? or just fleece?? Someone even suggested a blanket. Any suggetions I will be quilting in the ditch on my domestic machine.

Blog Entries
    Fleece is soft and warm, but it can be stretchy. If you use a walking foot, it does help with that issue.
    Two layers of cotton batting would be easy to work with, or one cotton and one poly. Cotton batting and a flannel back is pretty warm too
    “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

You could do it a lot of different ways. My choice would be one layer of batting and flannel on the back.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

fleece is much warmer than flannel, so if you want it warmer, I would go with batting and fleece. Take your time quilting and pin the heck out of it before you start sewing the layers together.
    The warmest quilts we have are made with white and bright with minkee on the back. All that poly just holds the heat in. They are just the most wonderful quilts for the winter. I never used to like poly, but I'm so sick of being cold all the time. I'm liking poly more and more.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

How about using wool batting. From what I have heard they are really nice and easy to work with besides being warm. If you really want it warm add a fannel backing.
    Carol

Quote Originally Posted by rufree4t View Post
    How about using wool batting. From what I have heard they are really nice and easy to work with besides being warm. If you really want it warm add a fannel backing.
    This was what I was going to suggest also. Wool is very warm. It needs to be quilted within 3 inches. If your blocks are bigger that 3 inches you could add some other quilting between.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I just made a quilt for our bed with wool batting. LOVE IT!!!! I used Hobb's wool batting from Connecting Threads - got it when they had batting on sale.

I would use wool batting.

The warm and natural batting to me feels just like a blanket and is warm
    We don't stop playing when we grow old, we grow old when we stop playing.

I would use a quilt shop quality flannel for the backing. For batting my choice would be Quilter's Dream Cotton. They make various thicknesses, so the thickest would be the warmest (of course). It quilts up beautifully.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast