Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting for chemo quilt >

batting for chemo quilt

batting for chemo quilt

Old 04-21-2016, 12:26 PM

Even though it has been 11 years since I had my chemo treatments for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, I distinctly remember how cold I was during treatments. They had blanket warmers and I kept asking for warm blankets. I would be at the chemo infusion center for about 6 hours as I received Rituxcin, a monoclonal antibody (newer treatment) which infused over 4 hours, as well as the chemo. I think a warm quilt with wool batting would be perfect for your friend. That is very thoughtful of you. I will her the best.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:59 PM

I make what I call Chemo quilts for our local Cancer Clinic. They are much appreciated. I use either Hobbs or W&N as batting. But my backs are made of flannel. Supposedly easier on the skin. And warmer.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:54 PM

Any kind of batting is good. Make sure the quilt can be washed. Patients are cold because they are sitting for (sometimes) several hours receiving cold (room temperature) IV fluids. Many times they sleep because of pre-medications. They get up to go to the restroom and are chilled when they return. If the treatment center has a blanket warmer, put the warm blanket on the patient, then cover with the quilt. It will help hold in the heat longer. The perfect quilt length will allow one end of the quilt to be tucked under the chin and around the shoulders. The other end of the quilt can be draped over the feet and tucked in under the legs. I have seen many beautiful chemo quilts over the years. They are appreciated.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:45 AM
Power Poster

Hobbs and Dream wool are both wonderful battings, lightweight , lofty, breaths and is warm. They are also a joy to work with. Washable,in love taking my freshly laundered quilt out of the dryer ( the one with the Hobbs wool batt) it comes out so soft, lofty, snuggly, Fabulous! 10 years old now & still wonderful.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:27 AM

Love all these ideas!
Old 04-22-2016, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Thumbs up

Wool sounds good to me. I am always cold and that came to my mind also. Maybe you could make one of those quilts with a pocket sewn on that the quilt can be folded into and when the quilt is used the person can put their feet into it. I know when I am cold my feet seem to be the worst.

Here is a pattern I found. It even has handles.
http://acuppaandacatchup.com/2011/05/quillow-tutorial/

Another thought would be to use fleece for the backing. It would function as batting at the same time.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 04-22-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:10 PM

How about an 80/20 cotton/poly blend batting? 80/20 will provide a bit of a lift after it's quilted but not be to bulky to carry. It washes up very well too.

Nancy
Old 04-23-2016, 04:45 AM

That is so nice of you! I went through chemo about a year ago and was always very cold. I took my quilt with me and they would give us warmed blankets and then put my quilt over me to hold in the heat longer.

And the suggestion to make a tote to carry it back and forth with is a great idea. I would highly suggest that as well.

Good luck to your friend!
Old 04-23-2016, 08:05 AM

I would also use wool. It is so light yet nice and warm. Have you thought of just putting a pocket at the bottom of the quilt in the middle so that she can just fold up the quilt and put it in the pocket? I made one of these quillows for my sister when she had cancer and she loved it. Add a couple of straps to carry it with and you're good to go!