Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batting for hand quilting?

Batting for hand quilting?

For those of you who hand quilt, what is the best batting to use?

I think it is something that you have to try lots of stuff and decide what you like. I am a 100% cotton batting girl...I have always used Warm & Natural because it's easily available from JoANn's and I can use a coupon on it. I am currently working on a quilt w/ a flannel backing and I wanted a real lightweight cotton batting and I'm using Quilters Dream Cotton Request. WOW!!! The needle slides thru it so nicely!!

Personally, I do NOT like polyester batting. Hard to explain why - I just don't like it.

never have used bamboo or wool.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Where did you find the Quilters Dream Cotton Request?

I got it at a local quilt store. You can get it online, too. The whole quilt is lighterweight - well as much lighter has it can be w/ a double weave flannel as the backing!!

The quilts that I have used Warm & Natural as the batting are heavier - but I know my mom sleeps under hers and says it is warm. I would have never known there was a difference if I hadn't done this current project.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I am currently hand-quilting a baby quilt using Nature-Fil bamboo/cotton batting. I love it! No bearding, even though I wax my thread, and a lovely drape.

Hobbs Heirloom is what I use most. I've used wool before, it needles wonderfully.

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    I got it at a local quilt store. You can get it online, too. The whole quilt is lighterweight - well as much lighter has it can be w/ a double weave flannel as the backing!!

The quilts that I have used Warm & Natural as the batting are heavier - but I know my mom sleeps under hers and says it is warm. I would have never known there was a difference if I hadn't done this current project.
    What is the online website for ordering the Quilters Dream?

Blog Entries
    My favorite is the Bamboo/Cotton blend. "Kyoto" is the brand that I really like. It costs a little more but the drape, softness and warmth are so wonderful that I think it's worth it!! It will spread onto the edges of the fabric as you are working and stitching a little bit but that bit of fuzz comes right off in the wash when you finish the project. It does not pill through the fabric at all. Oh my gosh, did I say how soft it is?? LOL!!
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

Blog Entries
    Here is the Quilter's Dream website with sizes of the cotton batting ("request" is the loft type):
    http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/dream-cotton.htm

Here are two online sources for Quilter's Dream:
    http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...-Batting--m-70
    http://www.quilterswarehouse.com/m-1...t-batting.aspx

any of the dream batts, hobbs heirloom, wool (either hobbs wool or Dream wool) and mountain mist cotton are the ones i've used & been happy with for hand quilting- i find warm & natural very (stiff) difficult to needle- it is (in my opinion) better suited to machine quilting-since you can have up to 10" between quilting lines.
    the easiest to hand quilt generally need to be quilted between 2" & 4" apart- *they do not have scrim*
    the Dream Batts allow more distance between lines and are just soft- luxurious & a dream to stitch. never heavy/stiff
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy
    Colleen's custom quilting; longarm services and custom quilt commissions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast