Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
??? Batting-Have I been thinking wrong? >

??? Batting-Have I been thinking wrong?

??? Batting-Have I been thinking wrong?

Old 04-13-2008, 12:58 PM

I purchased a bunch of Warm & Natural batting. Henry/JoAnn's had it on sale and I decided to stock up. I just read the washing instructions and it says to hand wash/soak, do not wing and lay flat to dry.

OMG I have used this in quilts that I have given away! Some are baby quilts and I know they are not being hand washed :!: I do meandering quilting with my machine and it is fairly close together. Do you think it will hold up OK?

Does it really have to be hand washed? Have I screwed up all thoses quilts? :oops:
Old 04-13-2008, 01:20 PM

I always soak, spin and tumble dry, because it shrinks a lot. Some people like that puckery look, though, and deliberately choose to not-preshrink it.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:12 PM

Read the instructions closer. Hand wash while it is still free. (I don't prewash my batting so this doesn't apply to me)

Once you have captured it inside a quilt, feel free to machine wash on gentle, low or air tumble dry.

You don't have to worry about all those quilts you gave away. They will be fine.

tim in san jose

Old 04-13-2008, 02:13 PM

I have never prewashed batting.
I do, however, include washing instructions when I give away my quilts.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:34 PM

I have never prewashed my batting. I do toss it in the dryer for ten or fifteen minutes to get rid of the fold creases in it. I wash all my quilts on normal cycle with cold water wash and toss them in the dryer on regular setting, never had a problem. :)
Old 04-13-2008, 02:46 PM

I prewash my batting like Cathe - soak (don't agitate), spin, and dry in the dryer. I just like the 'look' better. As for washing after it is in the quilt, I wash on gentle and air dry on a rack. I don't put it in the dryer. I think my kids wash their quilts like they do their jeans and they are holding up fine. Well, maybe wearing out a little quicker.

Judy
Old 04-13-2008, 03:05 PM

I have never prewashed batting and they hold up fine through washing.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks you guys! I did find a web site that said once it is in the quilt it can be machine washed.

The directions on the label did not specify it was pre-quilt. And it doesn't say anything about after. Be nice if they would do a better label for us newbies!

What a relief! Had to just have a moment of panic!
:lol: :lol:
Old 04-16-2008, 11:18 AM

I have washed Warm & Natural in my front loading washer on the handwash cycle and then dried it in my dryer. I know it shrinks unless you do that before quilting. I've not had any problem with the batting coming apart or seen any downside to pre washing it. I did a quilt last year for a newborn without prewashing. Because of my dogs I told the mother she ought to wash the quilt before she used it with the baby. I've never seen her use the quilt and I'm sure it's because it puckered up a whole lot after she washed it.

Linda
Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 PM

You're right Loretta, I really ought to ask about the quilt since I haven't seen it all winter long. It was a really pretty pinwheel in pink and white for a beautiful little baby girl. Thanks for the advice.

Linda