Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting from JoAnn's??? >

batting from JoAnn's???

batting from JoAnn's???

Old 02-01-2016, 10:15 AM

I bought some of it in the past and still have a lot left over. I use it for tablerunners or wall hangings or rag quilts. Sometimes you make a quilt that needs a thin batting and this will work.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:28 AM

They use to sell Hobbs, but the quality that they sold was seconds so Hobbs discontinued doing business because they didn't want their brand to be like that.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
There are times when a thinner batting can be just what you need, but it's really disappointing if you were expecting sonething different.
Can you exchange it?
This quilt is going to Florida so maybe a thinner quilt will be fine and I will use the rest for baby quilts..I have the quilt clamped down to the table ready to pin for FMQ, it does seen thinner then I am use to but I hope it will be fine after I quilt it..
Attached Thumbnails img_1311.jpg  
Old 02-01-2016, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
This is the batting that I bought, I am always looking for a bargain but I think this time I didn't get one. I don't have the receipt as I bought it back in Dec, so I will just have to use it..most of the quilts I make are ones that I give away, but still want them to look good, I'll try and see how two layers will look, Thanks everyone , but don't buy this batting even tho it looks like a good deal..
No, the batting I bought is different. It came in a box clearly marked with the Pellon brand. Looks like this is made by Fairfield.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

I've used it and I never had a problem with it. I have even a thinner one on my bed, hand quilted and it's fine in the winter and summer. the one on sale, I've machine quilted and haven't had any problems with it. worked up great.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

I only buy Hobbs 80/20. Just bought a roll 120" wide on eBay for my Xmas present so I can get some of these charity tops quilted by our LAQ at church. I was taught by Harriet Hargrave to always buy the best fabric, batting and thread that you can afford.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:26 AM

They usually let you return things. Buy the w&n with a 50% coupon. I buy some off the roll or the packages. I do not have enough space for a whole roll. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:09 AM

I have gotten this batting several times. I have a longarm and do lots of charity quilting. It works great on the longarm, makes a nice lightweight quilt. You don't have to quilt super dense, so it comes out nice and soft after washing. For larger quilts I use Hobbs 80/20 by the bolt.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:29 AM

Oh - I hate it when things go on sale and the quality is less or it is expired (food items). The old saying I guess is true - buyer beware. Ugh!
Old 02-02-2016, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
one of the employees at JoAnns told me not to buy it. I buy a big roll for 1/2 off just after Christmas and that lasts all year. I only use the warm & natural
I have used ONLY Warm and Natural cotton - it is warm and cool! Holds together very well and like the old saying that goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I usually buy when I need (it's my luck I'll croak if I buy a roll!) Would love to say "I bought a roll of Warm and Natural". Sounds so rich!!!!!!!! Hold off on the batting you bought for table runners or baby blankies (they outgrow them) and save the special quilts for the W&N. Now if you will excuse me, have to head out shopping before the big one hits us!!!!!!! Sometime after lunch! Edie