Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting or not?  If yes to batting what kind? >

batting or not? If yes to batting what kind?

batting or not? If yes to batting what kind?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I would not do any snipping. I would just let the blue jean fabric fray on its own.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:53 AM

I teach a quilting class for our local continuing education program. A few years ago my students wanted to do this quilt so I agreed to do it. I didn't do a sample beforehand and that was a mistake. The pattern we bought called for batting and just regular cotton fabric. The result was a quilt so heavy that we were all disappointed. They looked pretty enough, but no one wanted to sleeps under it. Especially if you are using denim, not batting is my recommendation.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:34 AM

You could use old sheet blankets if you wanted a little filler so you don't feel the seams so much, but I wouldn't use batting with that much bulk. Maybe just a layer of flannel. Those quilts get heavy very quickly. I've made a bunch and our group likes heavy, warm quilts so they INSIST on batting. It takes two men and a boy to lift them.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:34 AM

I took part in making a jeans quilt, and the finished top was very heavy. We didn't use batting, but used a soft flannel for the backing. It had been decided to tie the quilt, and it really turned out nice.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:46 AM

I made two lap quilts without batting that were very nice. Then I decided to make a king size with batting. It is so heavy you have to lift it up to turn over. Definitely no batting.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:32 AM

This is a very easy pattern. Its the circles that take the time to cut. NO do not put in batting. The jeans will make the quilt very heavy. I made a jean/flannel rag quilt with just 6" squares for a full size bed and the quilt is very heavy which I like but I need to take it to a Laundry mat to wash because it is too heavy for my washer.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:01 AM

I'm working on one now and am skipping the batting. I'm using 8.5" circles with 6" squares. And may end up using a different colour of Kona for each square, I'm not 100% sure yet. It might be a good time to use scraps instead of stash.

I think some may say I cheated. I used a die cutter (AccuQuilt Studio) to cut out the circles. I don't think I would stick with the project if I had to cut all those squares by hand. I'm using 112 circles. Although, I did notice that they had a rag circle die for the AccuQuilt GO now too, that is designed for this quilt project. But I already had the 8.5" circle die.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:00 AM

Don't add batting. It'll be plenty heavy without.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:12 AM

I'm working on one now and am skipping the batting. I'm using 8.5" circles with 6" squares. And may end up using a different colour of Kona for each square, I'm not 100% sure yet. It might be a good time to use scraps instead of stash.

I think some may say I cheated. I used a die cutter (AccuQuilt Studio) to cut out the circles. I don't think I would stick with the project if I had to cut all those squares by hand. I'm using 112 circles. Although, I did notice that they had a rag circle die for the AccuQuilt GO now too, that is designed for this quilt project. But I already had the 8.5" circle die.
That's not cheating.. that is just a tool of the trade. I wish I had one! I have to go through my jeans and see what size circle I can cut that will cause me the least amount of waste. Do you guys think I can piece together circles from scraps of denim after I cut some circles out? (I would only piece together 2 or 3 pieces and it would only show on the back - will that work out ok) I am going to mix my center window up in colors.. I have 5 different prints I am going to use... batik. I think they will look good with the jean material.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

My DSIL has made several quilts from old jeans, although they were basically squares, however, all she did was use flannel for a backing. I can testify that they may be heavy, but they are definitely warm, especially on a cold night. I would skip the batting all together.