Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting question >

Batting question

Batting question

Old 05-04-2011, 07:18 AM

I've read through most of the entries on this already, but just getting more and more confused.

We live in the desert. The reason I'm making this king sized quilt is because my dh requested one for our bed to replace the down comforter for summer. I already ordered king sized Warm and Natural, but from what I can glean, this may be too warm for my purposes, and I didn't realize that it would shrink.

What would you recommend? We want it light, and I don't really want a lot of shrinkage. I see talk of flannel as an alternative. Would I just go and buy 6 yards or so of flannel, whip it together and use it?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 AM

If you are trying to avoid shrinkage, the flannel will need to be prewashed. Some folks even say to wash flannel more than once to get all the shrinking done before using it as batting.

I don't find Warm and Natural to be overly hot, but in the desert it might be too much for you. As for the shrinkage on W&N, it gives the quilt a soft crinkled "antique" look which I love. Some people do not care for that look at all. It's a personal preference kind of think. W&N can be prewashed, also, so it won't crinkle your quilt.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 AM

From what I understand, I think you want a low loft (like 2oz.) batting. so it gives it that quilt feel, but is very lightweight. The only other thing I can think is don't put any batting in it! Make your top and put your backing on it, it will make it a lovely cover for your bed while feeling like a glorified sheet when sleeping under it.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:23 AM

I would not recommend flannel, particularly for your location. Cotton is the best bet, because it breaths allowing air to get through. Any of the blends, soy-cotton, bambo-cottonj or the old standby, 80-20 would work fine.

Lanny
Old 05-04-2011, 08:39 AM

my daughter wanted a summer quilt, so i put no batting or flannel in it..... she really liked it!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 AM

Flannel might be a good choice for a summer quilt but 6 yards isn't any where near enough for a king size quilt.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:17 AM

Of course we don't live in the desert here in Northern Germany but sometimes we also have a hot summer here! A very good friend of mine uses silk batting a lot for her quilts and she really suggests that for winter and summer time! Silk seems to adapt the right temperature.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:15 PM

When I lived in the desert I liked low loft poly batting for my quilts. Just enough for cool desert nights.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:41 PM

I live in the Phoenix area, and I used Warm and Natural for our bed quilt. The quilt doesn't feel particularly warm or heavy, but we sleep with the fan on. Also, I did not pre-wash the batting and after washing the quilt, nothing shrank.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:02 PM

The traditional "summer" quilt has no batting at all.