Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting question >

batting question

batting question

Old 01-17-2009, 04:01 PM

I would like an opinion on wool versus cotton batting for handquilting.
Cheryl
Old 01-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

Well, I have never hand quilted wool batting..

I usually use Quilters Dream cotton batting for mine.. just because I like it and the way it looks.

For machine quilting I use Hobbs 80/20.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I have heard that wool is like hand quilting through butter. Haven't tried it myself, but know it is the favorite batting for a couple of famous quilters. The important thing about wool is to get a very high quality batt; otherwise it has a tendency to "travel" through the backing and top fabrics. I forget what that is called -- bearding? I think it's not a problem with the brand-name, high quality wool batts.

Mary
Old 01-21-2009, 09:17 PM

Some hand quilters I know love wool, say it is easy to work with and "lubricates" the needles. But I dont know ...just passing on "rumors" lol

Margie
Old 01-22-2009, 07:22 AM

Hi, The only thing I know about wool batting is that it is expensive. Years ago some of the girls in my guild started using it. They are also the qult "snobs" in the group. They liked working with it but the price is rather steep. Silk batting is also wonderful but really, really, expensive. If you are making that heirloom Baltimore Alblum Quilt it might be worth the expense. I like the new Bambo batting but only purchase it with a 40% or more off coupon. I also save it for my special projects. I always consider who will be using the quilt and how much they know about caring for one.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:36 PM

I always used the polyester batting until I found Bamboo. I am in love with it. I also only purchase it with the 40 or 50% off coupon though because it is much pricier than the polyester. I never knew until I found this board that polyester batting was "bad". It wears forever. But I really like the bamboo so don't think I'll go back to polyester. I have a batt of cotton to try and an 80/20 I am going to try as well. I say try it all and use what you like.