Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Question >

Batting Question

Batting Question

Old 10-25-2014, 03:19 PM

Default Batting Question

What would you recommend for a warm and somewhat heavy batting for cold weather? Would a wool batting be best?
Old 10-25-2014, 03:25 PM

Wool is warm, but very lightweight. Quilters' Dream makes a poly batting that is extra warm, but I believe poly is also very lightweight. For weight, people in another thread were suggesting using several quilts. Warm and Natural is weighty, but not terribly warm.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

I would lean towards wool batting but a quilt can only keep someone only so warm. When I lived in my former cold house, I had an electric mattress pad that kept me warm as a bug in a rug as the old saying goes.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:35 PM

A friend requested an extra warm quilt from me a while back & what I did was use two 80/20 poly cotton battings. She has MS, so warmth was mandatory. She has told me many times she really loves her quilt!
Old 10-25-2014, 03:37 PM

I like to keep a window open in our bedroom year round unless the temps dip down below about 30 degrees then I'm forced to close it. It gets down to around 52-55 in the winter in our room and to me it's just heaven. We like having several blankets on the bed for the weight, i sleep like a baby when it's cold and i have lots of weight on me. The quilt won't be the only blanket on the bed but like I said, we like the weight. Do you think the warm and natural would be the best for this situation? I know it's not a favorite batting from what I've read.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:01 PM

Sarabela ... if you like the weight, and want a really warm quilt - you might want to think about two layers of W&N. But if there will be more than one quilt, perhaps wool is a good bet, with another quilt batted with W&N.

I'm like you, I sleep with the window open a bit even in the winter. I like the room cold (fifties) and I would rather throw another quilt on the bed to keep warm but have the room cool and fresh air circulating.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
I like to keep a window open in our bedroom year round unless the temps dip down below about 30 degrees then I'm forced to close it. It gets down to around 52-55 in the winter in our room and to me it's just heaven. We like having several blankets on the bed for the weight, i sleep like a baby when it's cold and i have lots of weight on me. The quilt won't be the only blanket on the bed but like I said, we like the weight. Do you think the warm and natural would be the best for this situation? I know it's not a favorite batting from what I've read.
I am with you on liking the weight of cotton. I use two battings one layer Warm and Natural and one of poly( not the big fluffy one). It give great definition to the quilt and is much warmer than a single layer of cotton. Its a lot of bulk to quilt on a regular machine , so think about sending a double batted quilt to a long arm pro.

I also like the layer of poly as it dries much faster than two cotton layers.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:31 AM
Power Poster

Flannel backing (or denim or fleece) also helps with really warm quilts. My best, warm quilt has a flannel backing, and a two layer batting, Dream cotton and Hobbs Wool together. It is lofty, cozy and oh so warm!
Old 10-26-2014, 04:01 AM

I made a quilt for my mom and used warm and natural - she says it's very warm.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:01 AM

Quilter's dream wool with a layer of their Select cotton would make nice heavy Quilt. As a longarmer I use sell their Battings exclusively. My preferred solution would be two quilts. They would be easier to maneuver and store than one extra heavy quilt.