Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Question >

Batting Question

Batting Question

Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 AM

Hi All!!
I'm a beginner quilter about to piece my first quilt together! I bought some warm and natural cotton backing in a queen size. However, when I layed the batting out it was huge, too large for a queen size quilt. Am I suspossed to layer the batting or just cut off the extra fabric? I don't know why there is a king size piece of backing for only a queen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:47 AM

You can cut your batt to a couple of inches larger than your quilt... and aftern it is quilted... then you will do the final trimming. The batt you cut off you can use for smaller projects. :mrgreen:
Old 01-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

Usually 3 inches bigger all around will give you plenty of wiggle room while you quilt, as well as for your quilt back. :D:D:D
Sounds like you got a "bonus pack" :wink: and you will have enough extra for a table runner or other smaller projects!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:54 AM

Haha, thanks I sure did get a bonus pack. Good to know I will just be able to save the extra batting for more projects in the future. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Flymy
Hi All!!
I'm a beginner quilter about to piece my first quilt together! I bought some warm and natural cotton backing in a queen size. However, when I layed the batting out it was huge, too large for a queen size quilt. Am I suspossed to layer the batting or just cut off the extra fabric? I don't know why there is a king size piece of backing for only a queen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I always buy my batting much, much bigger than I need; usually in 5-7 yard sections. Then I simply cut it down to match the top I'm quilting. I always make sure I've got 3-5 inches of extra batting all the way around, depending on how big the quilt is since quilting it will draw some of the batting up. I save the rest of my batting for the next project.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

The typical queen batt is only 90x108. If yours is bigger, you're lucky. For today's deeper mattresses, queen quilts are usually longer than 90" in both directions, and often longer than 108" in at least one direction. I buy Warm & Natural batting by the roll, but it's still only 90" wide so I always have to piece it for a queen quilt. The web site says it comes in the 124" wide roll, but JoAnn's doesn't have it on their web site.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

I always use a prepacked king size for my queen size quilts. The queen is never big enough. Sounds like you got a deal.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Google Goddess

Wow, you got a great deal. Have fun! Be sure to post pictures here so we can enjoy your creations!

Karen
Old 01-30-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Usually 3 inches bigger all around will give you plenty of wiggle room while you quilt, as well as for your quilt back. :D:D:D
Sounds like you got a "bonus pack" :wink: and you will have enough extra for a table runner or other smaller projects!!!
sounds just like you got extra, for other projects